Do any of you own both the iPad 12.9" and 9.7"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kim2272, Apr 14, 2016.

1. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I was wondering for those that own both, what do you use each of the devices for? I recently bought an IPP 12.9" and still have a 9.7" iPad Air 2 that I might sell in the near future but I am having trouble getting rid of it.

I personally already have an iPhone 6s+ and a 13" rMBP but yet I still find myself occasionally using the smaller iPad for light browsing. I know, first world problems....

I do apologize if a thread on this is already exists. I tried searching but I could not find anything. I know I saw some posts in different threads about owning both the IPP 12.9" and a 9.7" (pro, air, etc.) but I would still like to hear your thoughts!

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same position, I have an Air 2 and the 12.9" Pro. Currently the first one is still in use to some extent - in classes where I need to go up and write on the blackboard I take the Air rather than the Pro as it's easier to hold one handed. Similarly when studying in a group I put the materials/resources on the Air 2 so we can all access it.

Aside from that I do take it with me when out and about, but apart from that I don't really use it that much anymore - I'd also like to hear from others.

3. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

Since you already have both, unless you need the cash, I would keep both. The 12.9 is amazing, and I use it for actual, productive work way more than I thought I would. But there are many times when the 9.7 is so much more convenient. As you said, first world problems.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I have both, I use the 12.9 for work, watching movies, and just being productive. I use the smaller one for casual internet browsing, games, etc.

5. kim2272 thread starter macrumors regular

kim2272

It sounds like you are still getting significant use from the iPad Air. How do you use the pro? Also, do you have a main computer besides the iPads?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2016 ---
    I don't really need the cash as I got an amazing deal on an used IPP and I bought the air last year during the staples sale. But it is always nice to have cash in the pocket! I start PA school in May so I guess I will see how the devices interact with school and if I find myself not touching the iPad Air then I can still sell it then.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2016 ---
    Thanks for sharing! Do you also use a laptop or desktop for more intensive work?

6. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I use the pro for notetaking in class, and doing homework on (it's mostly math based), I also use it to do old exam papers on as it saves printing (to the tune of ~300 pages per class per semester). I also draft out coding on it, and use it for my light computer needs.

I also have 2 Macs - a MacBook Pro which is my primary computer when I travel and for days when I have programming class at university. I also have an iMac which is always on (server style) which serves as a syncing base (I sync many things via BitTorrent Sync), my media hub, etc. I do use all the devices a lot, curse of being a CS student I guess :p

7. Joell27 macrumors member

Is the 9.7 IPP screen that much better than the 12.9?

8. wetcanvas macrumors regular

I had both and I do think the 9.7 IPP screen looks better however the 12.9 is miles from bad so you cant go wrong. I returned the 12.9 because I couldnt justify keeping both. spending $2000 dollars in tablets seemed like a dumb move for me. It was too much money.

9. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

I sold my Air. Was too much hassle to charge and maintain two iPads and I got good money for my Air(1).

10. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

I have both the 12.9 LTE Pro and a 9.7 LTE Pro, and use the 12.9 far more than the 9.7. I've actually replaced my 13 Retina MacBook Pro with the 12.9 Pro, and use a Citrix X1 mouse and Jump desktop to remote into my mac mini and work laptop if I need to do anything that I can't do on iOS. My mac mini runs as a server for Plex, backups and photo storage, etc.

So the 12.9 with the Smart keyboard has become my complete laptop replacement, notebook replacement (with pencil) and main iPad for Netfloix, Plex etc.

I use the 9.7 when I need the same as above (again with a Smart Keyboard and Pencil) in a more portable version (when travelling, etc.), but the 12.9 is still pretty portable so not finding much use for the 9.7 as yet.

I'm fortunate to have both iPad Pro's leased through work so didn't have to worry about choosing. If I had to decide between them I'd take the 12.9 every time. The Smart keyboard is far easier to type on, split screen apps work much better and the added screen size makes working at it for longer periods so much nicer. The 9.7 is just that little more portable.

11. kim2272 thread starter macrumors regular

kim2272

I'm starting to feel the same way. I really can't seem to convince myself to keep the air even if I still find myself using it now and then. If I didn't have it, I probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2016 ---
    I don't know how I would find use for two IPPs but that's great that you can! If I had a similar option to lease through work, I'd probably try it out :p