Do any of you prefer to use the Google Chrome app over the native Safari for web brow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Safari to me has been the best mobile browser in the app store until Google Chrome came out.

It's really intuitive and fast.

Thoughts?

2. P51 macrumors regular

Only using the Chrome app now. I find the tab system better and like the look better too.

Even though they say it can never be as fast as Safari, I see no difference.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I prefer chrome over all else I have come across. The number one feature that got me instantly is the "search for text within page". While this feature is TECHNICALLY in safari too, it is implemented so poorly that mostly people don't know it's there, and those that do don't use it since it's a PITA to use. I also prefer tabs in chrome over Safari, but that alone wouldn't have switched me.

4. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I love the chrome browser but the work needed to get to a specific bookmark sucks. It's a two step process vs safaris one step when you add them to the bookmarks bar.

So I use safari.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I like Chrome.

Haven't used it much on my iPad but I'm sure it's solid even if it's not using Nitro.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's definitely the nicest alternative but I'm still using mobile Safari as it's nicely integrated and I love the fullscreen in landscape mode in iOS 6.

7. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I am loving chrome right now. It seems faster.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The gestures, request desktop version feature, and the tab syncing are all features that made me use Chrome as my default browser. I'm jailbroken so i've already hidden Safari on my iPhone and iPad. I've also installed Chromizer to enable pull to refresh, fullscreen mode, and more gestures. i used BrowserChooser to make Chrome the default browser.

9. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Just can't get past the *****y zoom effect. So freaking glitchy. If they fixed that I might use it more. Safari is still my number one.

10. chokem macrumors 6502

I'm only a couple of days into it, installed on both my 4S and iP3. I must say I like it a lot so far.

11. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I only wish iTunes would allow direct bookmark sync via chrome just like they do between Internet explorer or desktop safari and also to allow Chrome as a default browser (but of course iOS is not android)

12. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm really glad to hear so many of you like chrome. I love it too.

13. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

The iOS version is watered down and pretty lame, so I use Safari on my iPad. Chrome is a ton better on an Android device.

14. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

i hate the damn refreshing it does when I click on a youtube link and go back to the a forum. It makes me lose my spot.

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So much truth. So so much.

----------

Considering it's 3 steps to switch tabs in Safari vs. 1 step in Chrome (a mere swipe), I'd say the math works out.

And this is sort of where widgets come in really handy. I have a widget on one of my Galaxy Nexus' page that's dedicated to my bookmarks. I can easily launch from my home screen directly to any number of my fav. sites.

I think widgets are overrated in general, but some of them (usually the simpler ones) are incredibly useful.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Until Apple implements a way to set a default browser (so links from other apps don't open Safari), I am just going to stick to Safari.

17. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I completed agree... And I'm not sure how it's being executed. Without access to V8, Apple has done their best to keep Safari as the king of Java script performance... But somehow, someway Google just flat flies... Both on my home wifi network (22mb down, 5 up) - - as well, and my HSPA speeds (non LTE market) - - - not saying it's faster than Safari in measurement - - - but in everyday use, and it hauls Balls!

My complaint would be it's lack of ability to increase font size. iCab had done a helluva job implementing this ability - - - and easily with features.

I'm impressed and as an iOS browser hoarder :) - - - I've got over two dozen browsers on my iPads and iPhones

Chrome is now right up there with iCab, and Atomic, Dolphin and Opera

J

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I use chrome on my desktop.

On the iPhone I prefer the safari experience. I tried both for a few days and preferred Safari in the end.

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

For me, Chrome is dog slow on my iPad compared to Safari. Also, I find it really annoying that there's no bookmark bar.

20. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I like Chrome but I find my bank's website is slower on it. Gonna use it for a few more days/weeks then switch to Safari and see which I like more

21. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

I still prefer Safari for every day use (basically because I can't set chrome as the default), but incognito sure makes it easier to get "work" done and not have all my "business" URLs show up when someone else is using my phone.

22. Siggen macrumors 6502

I use chrome and it is set to my default browser (jailbreak). The only thing I want is Safari Download Manager ported over to Chrome. And maybe a hack to run Nitro in UIWebView, but that would just be the creaming on an otherwise good cake.

I don't care about bookmarks on my iOS devices, but I do find it eligant and fast to access my bookmarks on my Chrome work computer, or private home laptop. (open a new tab anyway, bookmarks -> bookmarsk -> choose computer)

The Other devices tab function, i use all the time, to work seamless across my devices.

Cant wait to see other tweaks appear in cydia for Chrome, the only I fancy as of yet is to change default browser. But I'm hoping for more :)

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yepp its set as the default browser on all devices/computers

i love how i can see what tabs are open on all devices.