Do Apple charge you when you place the order, or when shipped?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sharky II, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi

I'm currently awaiting payment for a job, and want to order the mac pro using a debit card (Maestro, UK). I don't quite have the full amount in my account yet.

As i want to get the 8800 card and there's 4-5 week wait - i can't remember if they debit my account THEN ship when it's ready, of if they wait to take the money from my account when the product is ready to ship?

If it's the latter, I'd put my order in now...

Cheers

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

3. Verist macrumors member

I got a hold put on for the amount of the card..

4. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

A hold on the amount of the card? Sorry dude i don't understand what you mean

One problem - i am an ADC member and need to order by phone - perhaps this would be a problem if i don't actually have the full amount in there? I imagine they would check your debit card for the amount when you're talking to them?

I guess there's nothing to lose if i just go ahead and do it.

Cheers

5. termina3 macrumors 65816

... do you have a credit or charge card? That seems to be a simple solution...

6. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Is a charge card like a debit card?

I planned to use my debit card (not a credit card)...

7. zdobson macrumors 6502

It shouldn't matter what kind of card you use. Also, I bought with a discount too and they didn't charge me until it shipped.

8. termina3 macrumors 65816

Yes, it does. Credit and charge cards have a billing cycle that allows you to offset payment (usually) until the end of the month. Debit cards detract directly from your checking account as a check would.

No. A charge card is a credit card without the ability to carry a balance month-to-month. Think Amex (Green/Gold/Plat) and Diner's Club.

9. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

okay cool, thanks for clarifying the difference between the two different type of cards

but the previous poster(s) is correct that with either card, the money won't come out for a few weeks, and so i'm 'safe to order on monday (as long as i know money is coming my way shortly) though?

thanks

10. timb macrumors regular

It's not wise to order something without having the cash in hand for it. Also, note that Apple may put a hold on your card for the amount of the order, which could make the money in your account not available and possibly cause you to overdraw.

11. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

12. macpants macrumors member

I just ordered my Mac Pro from the UK Apple Store. I actually asked this same question to the sales advisor. He told me that payment would be taken upon order. The thing is that it hasn't. I ordered the new Mac Pro on the 8th of Jan for delivery on the 14th Feb. To date the card has not been charged.

Not sure if this is a helpful response.:confused:

13. Graphis macrumors member

You may like to consider ordering from another retailer than Apple: I've ordered mine from Computer Warehouse, they have a finacial scheme where you can put a deposit down (any size, from 10-90%) and pay the balance within 6 months for 0% interest. Could be just what you're looking for. Other retailers do similar schemes. You usually pay an extra £25 for doing it, but the kit is usually cheaper than Apple's prices too, so you don't lose out.

14. Verist macrumors member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I used a Debit Card. When I checked my online statement, it showed a hold on the amount of the videocard, even-though it is not shipping for 5-7 weeks. I don't know if this is a temporary thing or they hold until the items ships... I had to cancel the order for the videocard since it does not work with my MacPro (that's a whole other thread :( )