Do apple "geniuses" make you agree to one return and no more?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnee, Aug 18, 2007.

1. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Based on this thread, I'm asking this question for people buying new computers which have problems from day 1:

has an apple "genius" told you they would exchange it for a new one, but you had to keep the new one? That is, even if the new one had the same problem, or even different problems... ?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would think that the Apple Genius would allow you to return the new one if it was faulty and get another new one. If not then you could always email sjobs@apple.com and tell them the situation.

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I've heard people complain of this, but I believe it is against their policy.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I think if someone tells you that, you need to be finding a new AppleCentre!

When I got a G4 iMac a few years back, the display decided to die on me. It looked almost like the backlight had carked it. We took it back to the shop, and they didn't repair it; they put it out the back, and came back with a whole new iMac. But before they handed it over to us, they pulled it out of the box and turned it on to make sure it was working.

Gotta be one of my best experiences at an AppleCentre.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If only the official genius bars were as kind. :(

6. Jamiephofe macrumors member

No, because that's illegal.

If that happens you should take their name and contact Apple.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Never happened to me, or anyone I know of (off the internet)

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Nope, they told me I had a bad yellow tint, and too open it and if its not to my liking they would keep opening boxs till i was happy :)

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'm glad that people are responding to this issue...I couldn't believe this story myself. The bill was just over $2000. This purchase aside, I bought an iMac from there, then a macbook pro, and my brother got a macbook. We're pretty good customers. But good customers or not, nobody deserves to be treated like that.

The genius actually said he couldn't feel the computer. It was very clearly vibrating!

I'll see what happens tomorrow...if they don't fix it I'm going to go crazy because we basically got screwed out of 2K.

What sickens me is that they actually wanted her to pay $150 for restocking because the machine is defective. That's basically saying this: "we messed up, if you want a good machine, pay 150".

I really am starting to think Apple has definite quality control issues. I'm really not that anal about my computers, but I had to exchange my iMac 4 times before getting a working one (5th one was a charm), and my brother had to exchange his macbook 4 times (2 vibrating mbs, one DOA). I am actually surprised my mbp was perfect.

10. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Jeez. This is ridiculous! I really hope you get it worked out... I'm sure if you assert yourself and talk with the manager that you'll get results.

11. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had that happen to me, reluctantly agreed but got another defect one. Talked to the manager who agreed to take it back without a restocking fee. No problem.

With hindsight, I should never have agreed to blackmail like that. I will never do it again. if a product is defective they should replace it. Period. If ten new products are defective, they should replace all ten.

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks.

I'm really not asking for much...just what I paid for. "This computer vibrates" is not written on the back of the box. Something like that really hinders your productivity on a laptop...much more so than a dead pixel or something imo.

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

if you cant get it done i have the number and email of a apple Consult that might be able to help....she has helped me in the past

14. matttrick macrumors 6502

ill tell you right now what i think is going on. alot of exchanges equals alot of new products no longer being new. this probably does not look good for the salespeople. my guess is they tell you this in hopes you don't question the issue, to keep you from making them look bad/costing the company money.

i doubt they can hold you to it, especially if you go over their head

15. hajime macrumors 68030

Yes. This happened to me in Japan (see the original thread).