Do Apple have QC?! Screen issue on 7/7+ Apple admit factory error requiring settings update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Veinticinco, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

So, received my silver 7 this morning. No great excitement just nice to be able to double up again to the 256GB...

...and then I notice it.

Surely not...

Auto-brightness definitely off?
    *check*

Nightmode definitely off?
    *check*

Any other new weird display settings in iOS 10?
    * nope*

Put iPhone 6 next to 7 to compare?
    *WTF?!*

The 7 display looks significantly warmer and darker, with both on full brightness. We're talking iPhone 5 levels here.

So I call my carrier to complain and ask for exchange. Put on hold for a while whilst waiting for technical support.

And then I'm told "Apple have contacted us and said there's been an error with the first batches, they were left on factory settings in the diagnostic OS and this accounts for the display issue"

I'm then told I can either return it to an Apple Store (umm no thanks, imagine the throng) or my local Vodafone store (who can also do the firmware fix as they've been sent the update from Apple). An exchange is fine but they couldn't guarantee a batch unit that was unaffected.

I understand there's QC issues occasionally but this sounds like they rushed them out the factory to meet shipping deadlines without a fairly major final step in the process. Completely avoidable and pretty shoddy.

2. Jinzen macrumors 6502

3. Veinticinco, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

Veinticinco thread starter macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Side-by-side comparison.

White on the 6 looks about 2-3 shades darker and yellower on the 7. Really awful...

(7 on the left)

[​IMG]

4. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

If it's software/settings related, could we not just DFU/restore?

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It's an easily remedied firmware update; you don't think that you're maybe overreacting just a little bit?

6. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

They should be able to fix it with a software update. Just keep it. If they don't fix it with a update Apple with exchange it under warranty. It will be ok. Relax. When I get mine soon as it already shipped and if it's the same that's my plan.

7. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

Agreed. Just let the dust settle man. Everything isn't perfect in life. And I will GUARANTEE you that Apple will make it right. Whether the phone brightens up on its own (like many have said here today), or they send out a firmware update, or they replace your phone. Just relax and enjoy your new phone with a slightly less white screen and things will get corrected ift hey need to be.

8. cynics macrumors G4

Maybe the 6 is overly "cool"? The bezels are real white right? Which matches those better?

9. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

10. Veinticinco thread starter macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Yeah, I know...just the initial annoyance really, understandable. Hopefully a software update will sort in the next week.

As someone who suffered the Great MBA Displaygate of 2009, I just thought the days of crappy displays were a thing of the past. Obviously not.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Am I missing something? Where has Apple acknowledged a problem? If there is no link or cannot be substantiated, the thread title is very misleading.