Do Apple replace iPad screens in-store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NeonGreenHermit, Dec 8, 2010.

1. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

Ok, the reason I ask this is because I can't be without my iPad for more than a day or so (it's my main work device when out and about... how we rely on tech blah blah blaghhh...), and I really don't want some shoddy refurb replacement that needs syncing with my Mac some sixty miles away (Apple stores are far and few in between here in the UK).

Shoddy refurb replacement?

Yes, shoddy refurb replacement.

I went through four iPhone 3GS' - each time graced with a new fault to spank me. At last, I thought I had found one that worked perfectly in every way until the screen decided to snow dead pixels. The dude at the Apple store just replaced the screen in 5 minutes and All Was Well until the GPS chip died a month later. I facepalmed Apple and they sent me a brand new 3GS (like, completely new - checked the SN and everything) which is still working perfectly to this day in my bro's possession. Happy days.

So, my point is that do they do this with the iPad? Will I get *my* iPad back from an in-store Genius appointment, knowing that it is perfect in every other way other than this screen issue and all my content to boot? I did phone the Apple store, but trying to get a sensible conversation out of their staff is akin to Flash out of iOS:

'Hi, do you do iPad screen replacements in store?'

'You'll need to make an appointment sir, and then we'll take a look'

'Yes yes, I have an appointment. If the screen is faulty, will you replace it in store? Just the screen, that is?'

'You really aren't listening to anything I'm saying, are you?'

'[hangs up]'

The problem, by the way, is that the screen has developed a very strange 'white spot' at the top, that isn't a dead pixel - it's like the brightness in one small area is higher than everything else. Strangely, this isn't visible on any other background colour, but when browsing all I see is this blasted white spot. It's also growing. Weird.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My understanding is they wouldn't replace the screen (or battery, or anything else), they would replace the iPad if warranted, so I believe the answer is "no"

3. NeonGreenHermit thread starter macrumors regular

4. Krud92 macrumors newbie

Yes, I believe MacDawg is right.
    I am pretty sure that if it is under warranty, they will replace the entire iPad; not just certain features. However, you probably could ask them about replacing a certain thing instead of replacing the entire iPad

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No they will not, they will give you a replacement, and they will send that one to be refurbished (on a clean room with specialized equipment) so they can give that one to someone else later :D (sound weird but that is what happen, recycling )

6. NeonGreenHermit thread starter macrumors regular

I think what I might do instead is just live with it for the short term and get it replaced when I've finished my immediate work. I find it crazy that Apple will replace a phone screen in-store, yet won't do the same for a tablet. Surely it's more cost-effective than the cost of the shipping back, repairing and cleaning required to get someone's old iPad up to refurbished standards (which as pointed out, I don't think too highly of)...?

Anyway, nevermind, no point complaining about what I can't change. Thanks for the input guys.