Do Apple retail stores only carry base MacBooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lipstick, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Lipstick macrumors member

I'm ready to purchase a 13" MacBook Pro, 2.26ghz with 4GB memory. The base only comes with a 2GB memory. Do they usually have a few variations on hand?

2. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Sometimes they will but I would just goto the store, check it out, and then order it online if they don't. I don't know for sure if they always have variations.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They have the base models and RAM upgrades which they can install for you on the spot. Nothing pre-assembled in my experience.

4. tenacious macrumors newbie

-------------
    The stores can upgrade the RAM to 4GB.

5. BayouBengal macrumors regular

If RAM is the only upgrade you want, go find a few howto's on how to swap the RAM yourself. You'll save a good bit of cash and it's a simple procedure even for non-tech people.

6. yoyomaster macrumors regular

Have you even seen the inside of the new macbook pro? I haven't and who knows if replacing RAM or the HDD will void the warranty now that they included the non-removable battery. Not everyone wants to open their computers up, yes it is pretty straightforward, but again some people may not want to try this procedure, so spending a little extra to them is worthwhile.

7. portent macrumors 6502a

Upgrading memory has never voided your warranty on any Mac made in the last twenty years or so.

You can find instructions on upgrading memory (and replacing the hard drive) for the new MacBook Pro in the manual, complete with step-by-step illustrations in the manual.

The manual is here:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_15inch_Mid2009.pdf