Do apple still replace the design flawed cases of old macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rederstorm, Sep 3, 2011.

1. rederstorm macrumors newbie

rederstorm

I have the late 2007 white 2.2GHz macbook and the only damage to the machine is the casing below where the magnets hold the screen down (below the keyboard and touchpad, on both sides where the magnets connect), and i have heard that because this was a design flaw apple used to repair the casing or replace it free of charge. (like this guy did http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1003812&highlight=design+flaw)

Now the problem i am having is that that post and several others are more than a year old and the 'free of charge repairs' have been from a long time ago and i am unsure if they will be able to repair it for free, seeing as they were probably just using left over parts.

I could make an appointment and have them take a look but the nearest apple store is quite a distance away and i cant afford the journey costs at the moment.

Does anyone know if they would still be able to repair my machine and if it would be free of charge?

Thanks!

2. session101 macrumors regular

you could give them a call to confirm..or call apple support directly

but probally not unless under warranty, post pictures and let us have a better look at it

3. jonahtron macrumors member

gonna bump this as I was just thinking the same thing.

Has anyone recently been able to do this? with an out of warranty MB?

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Why not just call the Apple Store near you And ask them?

5. Jordan9 macrumors member

Jordan9

I have a late 2006 MacBook purchased in spring of 2007, and have had the palm rests replaced twice. The first time was still under AppleCare. The second time was late last year which was a few months after my AppleCare expired and my local Apple Reseller, which is certified for repairs, replaced it.

As others have said give them a call and see if they are stilling fixing this problem for free.

6. tonynz macrumors member

7. jonahtron macrumors member

Thanks a million!

which store did you use/find that out from. I'm thinking ill take it into town, covent garden maybe, rather than my nearest one just up the road which is Brent Cross. perhaps they have more staff who could do it in one day!?

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes they do...I just did it. Make sure you make an appointment though. Also you may end up making the trip twice. One for the appointment and another when they call you telling you the parts are in. They do not have the parts on hand and will have to order them.

9. rederstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

rederstorm

Ah i see! Thanks for the help :D

I am passing by the store soon so i will make an appointment and see what can be done!

Thanks for the help guys :D

10. dandeco macrumors regular

When I had the backlight cable replaced on my early 2009 MacBook last month at the Apple Store located at South Shore Mall in Braintree, MA (only $45, and it was out of warranty!) they also replaced the palm rests for practically no additional fee!

11. jonahtron macrumors member

another satisfied customer... replaced for free yesterday in covent garden!

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

How much is "practically no additional fee"?

13. session101 macrumors regular

do they replace the whole topcover including keyboard or just only the topcover without the keyboard?

14. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

usually just the cop cover, unless the keyboard is worn out to no end and needs to be replaced do to a flaw.

15. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

White macbooks (pre unibody) have non-replaceable keyboards, since they don't use screws to secure the keyboard to the palmrest, but the keyboard's supports are melted onto it.

16. session101 macrumors regular

that's what i was wondering... thats a lot of work but maybe they really go that far to save some $$ cause the top cover swap can be done in 10 mins

17. SprSynJn Guest

I wasn't aware Apple even replaced the palm rests, warranty or not. I think I have the exact same MacBook as you, so I will be asking them next time I am near. Thank you.

18. KyotoSkip macrumors newbie

My two cents: I have a 2008 (I think) MacBook and have had the keyboard replaced once and the casing around the keyboard replaced twice -- all for free (last time was about 1 yr. ago, however), in both Tokyo and Osaka. Lovely!

19. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

No, you had the keyboard replaced twice as well. There is no way of replacing the palmrest area and not the keyboard as they are all one part. How is this so confusing (especially after there has been at least one other post explaining this already)- I'm not understanding...

20. session101 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just got done with my apple appt.

Topcase replaced for free... Took 10 mins

Order:
    Topcase. 73.86
    Labor 39.00
    Total 112.86

Amount Due: 0.00

Awesome! Be sure to make an appt

21. KyotoSkip macrumors newbie

Sorry for the misinformation. (It's been a while since the first replacement, and there was a problem with my keyboard before only the last replacement, which is probably why I recall the keyboard being replaced only then.)

22. SprSynJn Guest

Whereabouts are you? I would like to have mine replaced as well. Did you just take it to a Apple Store or did any Apple Retailer work for you?

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Judging by all of the posts from around the world, with experience about these palmrest replacements myself...it's safe to say no matter where you live, make the Genius appointment and get it fixed for free!