Do Apple store employees get discounts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tktaylor1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

We have an apple store by my school and one about 20 minutes away and i was wondering if they get discounts. I know there has to be somebody on here that works at an apple store. Also do macauthority employees get discounts? thanks for any information.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Oh yeah....50% off Apple software, freebies throughout the year (free iPhone, free iPod, depending on when or how long you've been with the company), free shirts, 25% off Apple Hardware "once" a year, and 3 15% off Apple hardware purchases for "family and friends"...

3. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

that is amazing. i would love to work there. too bad they have like 30 people working at one time (not joking at all). the apple store where i live always has at least 60 people in it. you can barely move. you have to call like 3 days in advance to get a time slot if you need help with something at the genius bar.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I worked Apple retail for 3 years at it's beginning. These days it's like working at Best Buy. Forced to sell worthless add ons and you're judged on sales numbers...

5. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Hi, morals calling.

If you abuse an Apple employee's discount, you run the risk of that employee getting fired. I'm sorry, but it's not worth it. Buck up and pay retail.

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not abuse if they for somereason decide to let you use one of their friends and family discount. One of the sales people at the eye glass store my family goes to did that for me on my first pair of glasses, and that made me decide to only buy from him personally in the future (at full price). By doing that once for me, he ensures that he gets a commission on a few (sunglasses, computer glasses, and normal glasses) $1,000 pairs of glasses every year. He also gets commissions on my mother's glasses every year, when she buys her new glasses.

If you think about it, giving a friends and family discount to a customer who you know will be shelling out cash regularly, can be a very good tactic to make sure no one else gets the commission from their purchases in the future.

-Don

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

There's a MAJOR difference between these two scenarios:
    "Hey, can I use one of your allotted F&F discount coupons?"
    and
    "Hey, let me use your regular employee discount so I can save a few hundred bucks more than I should."

I have no problem with F&F and discounts as applicable. I do think it's an issue when people abuse their friend's or their own employee discount when they are fully aware it's not allowed.

I am a former employee of a major retail chain. I've seen many a time where an employee would buy very pricey merchandise while a friend "loans" them the cash at the register. I've also seen employee's "purchase" large deliverable items but have them delivered to their buddy's house so they could "pick it up later." I'm not stupid, kids.

If you want to use a F&F discount, go right ahead - that's what they are there for! But abusing an employee discount, you're risking somebody's job. That's not cool.

9. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Using a personal discount for a friend or family member is okay, as you only get one per calendar year. It would be as if you were buying a system, iPad, or iPod for yourself and giving it to a friend or family member.