Do Apple Stores Ever Stock 16GB 13" Macbook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhilMacbook, Jun 13, 2018.

1. PhilMacbook, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

PhilMacbook macrumors regular

If the 13" Macbook Pro really is a pro machine why does one with 16GB RAM seem to be a build-to-order item with a 2 week delay? I understand most customers won’t want this spec but many pros will so why make them wait?

I could understand if Apple stores stocked them in low volume but they don’t seem to. Is that just temporary or is it usual and as an alternative do Apple resellers stock them?

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

All 15" models come with 16GB standard, so I guess you're talking about 13".

Looking at Apple's page, doesn't look like any of their stock 13" builds come with 16GB standard, so it would be build-to-order for that RAM upgrade.

3. coldwaves macrumors regular

I checked a few Apple Store near me and it does seem like 13" model with 16GB RAM are not in stock.

4. PhilMacbook thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Good point. I meant the 13" and have updated the title and original post to reflect that.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I think best buy offers some that aren’t stock at Apple. Try there ?

6. animan macrumors member

B&H Photo Video carries most of the special order items in stock. I got my 13" 2017 i7, 16GB, 512GB TB from them last week, delivered in 2 days with no tax.

It went on sale at BestBuy this week for $2199 and B&H matched their price and gave me a refund!

7. PhilMacbook thread starter macrumors regular

That's good to hear. It is strange that Apple stores don't carry a few of their top spec 13" machines but if someone else does that's great.

8. stefanski macrumors member

stefanski

I suppose it depends on where you are. I bought my 13" MBP with 16GB and 1TB at the local Apple Store so they do indeed have them at least occasionally for whatever reason. I'm in Australia though and I didn't really expect them to have one in store but for some reason they did.

9. PhilMacbook thread starter macrumors regular

I am in Britain and I checked a number of stores here and in the USA.

10. TailsToo macrumors member

TailsToo

Or order an apple refurb. They’ll ship to the store and you save like $200-$300

11. PhilMacbook thread starter macrumors regular

I was partly asking for myself but also because I was curious to know why Apple don't stock them. If a business had 10 pro users and they wanted to kit them all out with 13" top spec MBPs they have to wait 2 weeks for Apple to build them.

As you say, I could go to the refurb site and it seems like other stores have them but Apple don't. It seems odd.

In the pre-solder days you could buy any spec and upgrade the RAM yourself but if Apple have taken away that option you would think they would have a decent supply of all configs.

12. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I've never seen the 13 inch 16GB in stock. I believe it is BTO only.

13. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

Apple typically only carries the base models of their computers (possibly some that are considered to be "popular configurations") - They told me 3 weeks for my custom config 15 inch - ordered from B&H and received it the next day (and also cheaper than Apple was selling it for)

14. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Apple Stores absolutely do stock a high end 3.5/16gb/1tb 13 inch. I'm typing this on one purchased from an Apple Store. Please note however that the online stock trackers NEVER show this in stock, even if you custom build one to the exact specs of the model they have. You have to walk into a store and ask, it is listed in their portable sales device. They also carry a 15 inch 3.1/16gb/1tb model.