Do Apple Stores have a replacement stock for SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by James.K.Polk, Apr 22, 2016.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I realized this LCD ripple effect is a lot worse than I thought first... looking to go and exchange this weekend. The website says there are none of the 64 GB Silver available for pickup, but is there a separate stock for replacement devices? Refurbished (if even possible) is no problem.

2. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

LCD ripple effect??? Never heard of it.

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nor had I. Really frustrated over here, otherwise perfect iPhone. Pressure from the front or back of the device (especially just to the right of the mute switch) causes a big ripple all along the left side of the screen.

4. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Stop me if you've heard this one before.....

A guy walks into a doctor's office, points to his arm, and says, "Doc, it really hurts when I put pressure here."

Doctor says, "Stop putting pressure there."

5. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

I think the op means the parts behind the screen are pushing the screen without him putting pressure but I could be wrong.

6. cortez31 macrumors newbie

I had mine replaced at the Apple Store yesterday. It came in a flat box, unlike the retail box. Does that mean I got a refurbished one? It works like a charm and has no scratches whatsoever, so it's probably not that important to know!

7. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

No no, DCP is right. The problem could be solved by never putting pressure on the screen. Unfortunately, I do sometimes (I know a 'tap' requires no force but it's habit) and the fact that I noticed it within 2 hours of owning the phone should suggest it was a relatively major issue. They are sending me a new one via Express Replacement.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple always uses refurbished units for all warranty replacements. I've seen several and they're always as good as new.

9. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

10. Mac 128, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016

Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

No they do not. Unless Apple Store employees were specifically lying to me, I was promised that Apple only uses brand new manufactured phones as replacements, but packaged specifically for that purpose and not for sale. To further emphasize this, I was given a brand new phone in an off the shelf retail box as a replacement one time, presumably when they were otherwise out of stock; and they opened the box, and swapped the phone without giving me the charger and headphones, presumably to be sent back and "refurbished".

--- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2016 ---
    I can't speak for the SE, but I have replaced several launch products during the limited availability period, and the stores I have visited always had stock on hand to replace the phone. Only way to find out is to try, but the worst case scenario is they ship one to you overnight.

The only way I see this is a problem is if there's some endemic issue that is depleting both replacement stock as well as the limited stock from high demand.

11. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I got one on launch day, which may have obviously been a different situation, but it had some issues. They did not have any stock at all to exchange the phone.