Do Apple stores have Wifi???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by julric01, Jun 23, 2007.

1. julric01 macrumors member

This may be a stupid question, so I'll aplogize in advance.

Do Apple stores have Wifi? Reason I'm asking, if I'm going to wait outside one all day on iPhone day - it would be nice to bring my iBook and surf to pass the time.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, they do. All of them, as far as I know. But the signal outside the store might not be too strong.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

i would imagine their network is either password or MAC address protected and not wide open.

4. applehero macrumors 6502

The Apple stores' WiFi is an open network there as a convenience to their customers.

5. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I bet you'll end up putting that iBook away and making new friendly Applemates in line :)

6. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

Ooh... Applemates! Only two problems for me though...

1.) I don't have a Mac
    2.) I don't live near an Apple store

7. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

All Apple stores have WiFi

8. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

Uhh.... ok. Thanks.

9. malreynolds macrumors member

malreynolds

Yes, but the real question is, what is the strategy for batteries running out after the first 3 hours of camping?

Buy an extra battery? Is there some external something or other we can buy?

10. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

no, you see the trick is that the computer is a back up. if they run out of iphones you have to quickly go to apple.com and order there, at least that's my plan

11. applehero macrumors 6502

I plan on getting there early enough to park close to the door. I have a power converter and an extension cord to keep my PB at full power for as long as needed.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

I have an extra battery for these kinds of things (it was so unbelievably useful for wwdc, i can't say that enough...), and you might be able to find a place to plug in near the store.

Love your username, btw :D

fwiw the wifi is wide open, although sometimes slow. you have to be as close as possible to the store to get it, sometimes even 10 feet makes the signal go nonexistant. it's surprising it's open, given that they've resorted to locking down all the computers with parental controls (although terminal.app is still usable, which is a good thing :D )

13. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

That, of course, presumes that the Mall and/or Apple Store allow you to run an extension cord (from your car?); besides, if you're drawing enough amperage from your car's 12v battery for long enough (I'd guess at least 2-3 hours), you'll likely have a flat battery for your troubles.

14. applehero macrumors 6502

Not worried about the battery, but I am just assuming that I there will not be an issue with running power. At the very least, I'll be able to use my PB and throw it in the car for an hour when it needs a charge. I'll make it work.

15. gt1948 macrumors regular

gt1948

I sit in the parking lot all the time at the memphis store....strong signal...

16. rjflyn macrumors regular

Even better would be some one with a decent camera to set up a live stream of the goings on of the launch.

Rj