Do Apple stores sell batteries separately?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ParsiKade, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ParsiKade, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

ParsiKade macrumors newbie

Hey,

My question may sound weird but I've got a friend coming from US and I want him to buy a battery for my MBP (I don't have access to any authorized Apple stores right now.) So here's why I'm asking this question, do Apple Stores sell batteries separately? I searched a lot and didn't find an answer.

And if they don't, how should I get an original battery for my MBP? I know there are lots of sellers on eBay and Amazon but can't trust buying third-party batteries.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on what model MBP you have, as earlier models had removable batteries that you can buy and install yourself. Unibody models have built-in batteries that should be replaced by Apple.

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

4. ParsiKade thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Early 2011 MBP which has a built-in battery.

So Apple Stores do not sell the battery alone?

I noticed iFixit doesn't sell batteries anymore. I have the screwdrivers and everything and can change the battery myself, I've done it before, but the problem as I described in the first post is that I don't have access to any Apple Stores right now and that's why I want my friend to buy battery for me.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they don't sell the built-in batteries without installation, as they should be replaced by Apple.

6. ParsiKade thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's bad and I think I should go for a battery on ebay. :(
    But there are many sellers on eBay, some of them say that their batteries are original and OEM, and they offer higher prices, are those batteries really genuine? I mean if I'm not going to buy battery from Apple, I don't want to pay almost same amount of money (it's 110$) for a battery which is not original.

7. thehustleman macrumors 65816

The good thing about ebay is if you find out the battery is a fake you get a refund.

Buyer protection is the best

8. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Kudos for an otherwise splendid summary, but I'd like to point out that some early unibodies, namely those with a specific bottom plate access hatch (MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2008 and Early 2009) have user replaceable batteries.

RGDS,

9. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is to get a slightly used OEM battery on ebay. These batteries are rated for 80% capacity at a thousand cycles. find a used one that the seller advertises the cycle count and is obviously a used apple battery as opposed to one of those chinese sellers with hundreds of generic listings and you'll be set.

Example (not my listing)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-ORI...22220?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item3a7d0599cc

10. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Fake and sub-standard are two different things. OEM should hold the same 1000 cycles (or whatever it is for the OP's MBP). Sub-standard might hold half, or even less than that. Just because it looks genuine on the outside does not mean it is on the inside.