Do Apple stores stock Macbook Pros with SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by larryg1do, Mar 4, 2011.

1. larryg1do macrumors newbie

larryg1do

Do Apple stores stock Macbook Pros with SSDs - especially the 17" model

2. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

My local store carries many of the BTO options, but sadly SSD wasn't one of them.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

They don't stock anything besides the standard configuration.

4. ozred macrumors 6502

The Apple store just one mile from my house has them all.

However it's important to note it's one of their high volume stores.

I'm quiet satisfied with mine. The performance with the OEM SSD is just a tick slower than my 2010 with the OCZ Vertex 2, I installed. Both have 8GB ram.

5. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

You need to call the store you are going to and ask.

They do have more than the standard configuration in the store, that is a common myth that is perpetuated here on MR.

They always have the standard config... but the individual stores can order stock of BTO type configurations that sell well in their area.

As proof. I am typing this on my 2010 MBP with 2.66ghz i7 with Anti Glare. Which was a "BTO" option, not "Standard". I stopped in the store to play around and one of the employees asked me what I was interested him. I told him I was just trying one out and would have to order online because I wanted the 2.66ghz with AG. He said "hold on one min" he came back about 5 mins later and told me he had it in stock. I walked out 15 mins later with it.

3 Days ago, I went in to the Apple store and walked out with a 11" 128GB 1.6ghz 4GB RAM Macbook Air... which is also a "Buy to Order" model, they had it in stock.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Which configuration did they have? The stores around me have a top model configuration (better screen and processor) but don't have a SSD.

7. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

The Eaton Centre store here in Toronto didn't have any SSD MBPs. They did have non stock 15" 2.3 ghz i7 with the anti glare HD screen MBPs in stock.

8. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I was in an Apple Store and was told that anything besides a monitor choice would require a CTO.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

All apple stores can upgrade the RAM for you in-store.

10. rebby macrumors 6502

The only 17" models my local store (Roseville, MN) carried were the standard 2.2GHz and the 2.3GHz w/matte screen. Both of these systems had the 750GB drive.

Sadly, it sounds like you need to special order one if you want SSD.