Do Apple's bumpers protect against drops?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tctony, Jul 5, 2010.

1. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Now that the iP4 and bumpers have been out for a while, I'm wondering about peoples experiences with them. Do the bumpers actually protect if you drop the phone?

I'm the type that admits that I'm going to drop my phone about 4-5 times over its lifespan. $30 on a case is better than $200 for a new phone. Anyway, since I'm waiting for the white iP4 I'd like to know what peoples experiences with the bumpers have been.

2. bbwinkle macrumors member

Yes, they protect quite well. I've dropped my iPhone on tile, concrete, and uneven patio rocks. The bumper took a beating and has a phew scratches/marks but is doing well.

3. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

I just have to ask: did you happen to do those drops because you were testing the protection of the Bumper, or are you perhaps naturally clumsy to some degree? :)

Not meaning to jab at you, but honestly... do you drop that phone with that amount of alarming frequency, really? I've got a Nokia cell phone (a real cell phone, actually, doesn't do most anything else at all but work as a phone, antique these days), and I've dropped it one time in 6 years... it hit the floor, broke apart in multiple pieces (faceplate, battery cover, battery flew out, etc...) but when put back together it fired right up.

Just curious...

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

if you wanted drop protection, i'd get a rigid full case that encloses the phone. The bumper is mainly there to protect the glass, since it'll touch whatever surface you put it on and is prone to scratching.

5. bbwinkle macrumors member

I'll admit it, I'm naturally clumsy. :eek:

I try my best to be careful with the iPhone but if it falls it falls, that's why I bought front/back protectors and a bumper. Combination works great.

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

protected mine when i dropped it onto the corner of a step

not sure if itll protect it 4-5 times though

7. mhdena macrumors 6502

I think the bumper was an afterthought to make the phone more holdable. Its not a case, the phone should have been designed better & included the bumper in the design.

8. AJerman macrumors member

My iPhone with a bumper case took it's first decent spill over the weekend. I had it sitting on the spare tire on the rear door of my friend's Jeep, forgot, closed it, and it fell to the ground in the parking lot. The corner of the bumper took a pretty nice scuff, but the phone (also with an invisibleshield) never knew anything happened. The bigger issue is that the older, and in my opinion, better USB cables that actually clicked into the dock, and any non-apple headphones don't fit with the bumper on. There's a good chance I'll end up looking to return it if they will still take it with the corner damaged.

9. Psant macrumors regular