Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Queue Hype

I sometimes wonder if Apple actually sponsor people to start queueing a week before launch day to generate this hysteria.
I bought the 4S on launch day. The news was showing people queueing for a week for that phone. I was ready for a new phone and I was curious to see what all the launch day fuss was about. I went to the Brighton store at 7:00am and joined the queue. We got a free coffee and a high-5 from the staff - not a big deal really, but the atmosphere was upbeat.

I walked out of the store with my phone at 9:30am, just 90 minutes later than the guys who'd slept on the street for 6 nights.

Don't buy into the hysteria. It's not an achievement to get your phone before anyone else.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I sometimes wonder if Apple actually sponsor people to start queueing a week before launch day to generate this hysteria.
I bought the 4S on launch day. The news was showing people queueing for a week for that phone. I was ready for a new phone and I was curious to see what all the launch day fuss was about. I went to the Brighton store at 7:00am and joined the queue. We got a free coffee and a high-5 from the staff - not a big deal really, but the atmosphere was upbeat.

I walked out of the store with my phone at 9:30am, just 90 minutes later than the guys who'd slept on the street for 6 nights.

Don't buy into the hysteria. It's not an achievement to get your phone before anyone else.

I hope your right, it would mean better chance of getting one without rushing around. However when I tried to get an iPhone 4S the day after launch at the Bullring Birmingham store here in the UK, they had sold out. However I did manage to get one on pay as you go from network 3.
Earlier today I phoned a few stores in the town where I live, they all said the same thing, "yea we are having the iphone 5S in BUT it will be limited stock and a first come first serve basis. Non of them tho will be pay as you go" this was when phoning EE, 3 and Carphonewherehouse, here in the UK. Unless Im misunderstanding, this means there will be low stock and they know this so are warning people.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I phoned a few stores in the town where I live, they all said the same thing, "yea we are having the iphone 5S in BUT it will be limited stock and a first come first serve basis.

Translating from sales speak to plain English:

A few stores will be getting them in - not just one - a few.
Each one of those stores wants you to buy your phone from them.
The 'limited stock/first come first served' line is an attempt to get you to rush to their store early.
Other than pre-ordering, 'first come, first served' is how a store works.

I really don't think you'll have a problem.

And if by any chance they do sell out, comfort yourself with the fact that by the time you get yours, lots of iOS7 bugs will have been reported to Apple, and you won't be one of the dozens if not hundreds of people who've already dropped theirs or had them stolen.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Translating from sales speak to plain English:

A few stores will be getting them in - not just one - a few.
Each one of those stores wants you to buy your phone from them.
The 'limited stock/first come first served' line is an attempt to get you to rush to their store early.
Other than pre-ordering, 'first come, first served' is how a store works.

I really don't think you'll have a problem.

And if by any chance they do sell out, comfort yourself with the fact that by the time you get yours, lots of iOS7 bugs will have been reported to Apple, and you won't be one of the dozens if not hundreds of people who've already dropped theirs or had them stolen.

Oh right ok I didn't know that about the stores, this is the first time I've phoned round. Thank you for the heads up on this. Yea that is true about IOS 7, I was just hoping to receive my phone (online order) by the 30th, mainly because that's when I go back to university and always use a phone to store my music.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Highly doubt it. I say you can stroll into an apple store on the 20th at 9am and pick one up. No problem. Don't buy into the hype here.

Last Year, at the trafford centre, around 3000 people turned up.

They only let it 5-10 peoples at a time.

Definitely have to wait longer than 9am.

I was like 40th in line, didnt get in till 9am.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I do not agree. It will sell VERY well and I still think that Apple will lack stock in all configurations.

3 different colors and 3 different memory configs and multiple carriers.

Still betting they will be short in supply! I will look you up this Friday!:)

LOL! Guess what I have in my hand Lucy?......... Pulled up at 8am. About 20 people in the store. The guy said that he thinks they will have stock all the way until next week until the next shipment comes in. Have fun waiting on your order Lucy. Funny thing is that it's the same thing every year....Good call Lucy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.