Do Apple's pro-apps screw up iLife?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akm3, Nov 25, 2007.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I apologize if this has been covered before.

I am a pretty new Mac convert, and love how iLife integrates together so well. I love being able to take stuff from iPhoto, merge it with stuff in iMovie, export it to .Mac or iWeb or Youtube or... Everything is peachy.

But, I want to get a little more beefy with my photo and video editing. If I upgrade to Aperture will I lose all the neat abilities I had with iPhoto? (Easy access from iMovie, ability to make all the neat booklets and calendars, etc?) If I upgrade to Final Cut Express, will I lose the ability to receive stuff from iPhoto (Actually Aperture, remember) and quickly put it on Youtube?

Basically, I just want to know if the apps that supercede iLife apps still let you do everything you want to do in an iLife fashion. i.e. Well integrated. Talks to each other perfectly. Up/Down communication between the iLife apps and the originals.

Also, with Aperture, say, do you lose the ability to view all your same photos in iPhoto (And can Aperture browse everything in your iPhoto?) Basically, can you keep using both?

Thanks! Sorry if this is a dumb question.

-Allen

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

everything works great with each other is the best way to sum that up.

PS. iphoto to aperture good, the reverse bad, horrible, painful, unless apple has changed it since a year ago. And you cant see aperture stuff in iphoto.

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

They won't step on each other's toes. iPhoto will run the same after Aperture is installed. Same with Final Cut and iMovie.