Do apps have to be installed on the same drive as the OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yzfrr11, Jan 11, 2011.

1. yzfrr11 macrumors newbie

Do apps have to be installed on the same drive as the OS?

I'd prever to install a few of my large apps (Adobe Master Collection) on a separate internal hard drive. Is it possible?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, you can put them anywhere you want to. You might want to think a little about the permissions of the disk and directory you put them in, though, especially if you have more than one user account on your Mac.

External drives by default have "Ignore ownership on this volume" set on. I'm not sure if second internal drives have this set by default or not. (Select your drive in the Finder sidebar and hit Command-I to see yours.)

If this is set for the drive you place the apps on, all user accounts on your Mac will be able to read, run, and delete the apps. If this is not checked, then the normal Unix permissions apply, so you could allow all users to read and run the apps, but only the admin user to change or delete them, for example.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It depends on the application. Many applications may be installed anywhere. Some will even run from mounted disc image files. However, there are other applications that must be installed in the Applications folder. Still others can be installed anywhere, but are fully-functional only when installed in the Applications folder. In each case, it depends decisions made by the developer.

5. psedog macrumors newbie

I didn't know that some applications require themselves to be located in the Applications folder.

You could always move the entire Applications folder and create an alias on the original drive to point to the new location.

6. psedog macrumors newbie

I take that back. You don't want to create an Alias. You want to create a Symbolic link.

To do so you have to use terminal

Code:
    cd /
    ln -s "/Volumes/new volume/Applications" Applications
    If you don't want to move the whole folder you can just move the Applications you want. Like Adobe which is notoriously large.

I just moved my iTunes MobileSync folder (it's for you iPod/iPhone backups) and when I used the Alias iTunes couldn't see it. Making a Symbolic link fixed it. I've also done this when External drives failed and I had to make a new one. Creating a Symbolic link keeps you from having to remake your iPhoto/iTunes/Aperture etc libraries.

This is a link to my blog post for when I did it mid last year. http://psedog.com/Psedogs_Blog/Psedogs_Blog/Entries/2010/9/23_restoring_lost_links.html