Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Like it says in the title. I am wondering specifically if the Mac App Store updates, Messages, And FaceTime need to be open and running for their notifications to show up in notification center in real time.

Or do they only show after you open the app. And if so, do they disappear when the app is closed?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
No, they don't have to be open. At least I know Messages doesn't, and I expect App Store updates don't either.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I think App Store apps can do push notifications while non App Store apps can do standard local notifications. I may have made that up though to be honest :D

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
It's weird that no one really knows for sure. The App Store seems to take up a good bit of RAM. I don't want to have to leave it open all the time but I do want to know immediately when there are updates available for my apps.

And what about Calendar and Reminders?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I don't recall getting notifications for iPhoto and iMovie updates until I opened App Store, and then it was just the in-app reminder. App Store is not even listed in the NC settings.

My calendar events show up in NC without iCal (or BusyCal) opened. I assume calendar alerts would also.

Edit:
-MRB's reply below jogged my memory: I did get a notification for software updates, I just didn't tie it in to the App Store. I guess I'm not yet used to Software Update opening the App Store. So, App Store does not need to be open.

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
It's weird that no one really knows for sure. The App Store seems to take up a good bit of RAM. I don't want to have to leave it open all the time but I do want to know immediately when there are updates available for my apps.

And what about Calendar and Reminders?

Calendar doesn't need to be open and neither does reminders. Mail seems like the only app that needs to be open.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Well this is all great to hear. With this and the combination of Launchpad I won't leave as many apps on the dock as I used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.