Do apps really slow down the iPod Touch Speed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Aug 28, 2008.

1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

I've never got to use an iPod touch myself, but I've watched a lot of videos and reviews. From what I can tell, it seems to be pretty quick with most things. My only concern is if adding a lot of apps will really slow it down. I've been shopping the store and have purchased a lot of apps. Some I plan to keep on, others will be put on as needed and removed. I really noticed that my iTunes seems to be a lot slower now, especially on the apps page. So that is why I'm a little concerned it will really bog down the player as well.

Any experience with this?

Thanks!

2. efp722 macrumors regular

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, it will only slow down if you have heaps of apps open at the same time (using up the RAM), and with the current SDK that's not even possible.

4. macattack1234 macrumors newbie

Yeah it does

It totally slows down your internet speed. My friend and i both used the same wireless network sitting next to each other. We decided to do a mobile speed test from our ipod touches. My friend, who has about 12 more apps then me, got a test result of 1100 kb/sec. I got 1498 kb/second.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That should have no effect. Your touch could just have a faulty Wi Fi receiver.

6. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

My ipod touch seems fine, it is faster now with 4 pages full of apps then it was jailbroken with 2 pages :p.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Internet speed depends on various factors, such as distance to router and interference between or near devices.

Please don't speculate. Yes that will happen on windows mobile, but this is NOT windows mobile or anywhere close to it.

Only core functions and 1 app is open at the same time.

With exceptions that include core functions such as iTunes,
    if you go to another app, iPhone and iPod touch SAVES the state of the app, and EXITS the app, if you go back to the app, the state of that app is reloaded.

8. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for your answers. I was hoping it wouldn't slow down the iPod touch, I didn't really think it would. But when I noticed how slow iTunes became, it made me a little nervous.... Now if I could just get an iPod touch I'd be really happy :)