Do Apps transfer over to new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacDaddy24, Jun 21, 2009.

1. MacDaddy24 macrumors newbie

I have the 3g right now but my 3g S should be here by the end of the week. I was wondering if i buy an App on my phone right now will it transfer over to my new iPhone!

Sorry if this has been a topic but i couldn't find it.

thanks!

2. w3cum macrumors regular

yeah when you connect to Itunes it will ask for your password and you can log in and it will put everything on your phone.

3. MacDaddy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

awsome! thanks for the quick reply... now i can download need for speed :cool:

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I was really nervous about this because I have a lot of data locked into these apps. I backed up what I could and what was most important before I started. Then I did a sync and backup of my phone in iTunes. I then got my new phone out, activated it, then told it to restore from an old backup (of my current 3G). It proceeded to do its thing, and when it was done, it had no video songs apps or anything on it. It had the settings though, and apparently *that* is the key. Once I told it to sync, thinking "oh crap I'm going to have to input all my data again" I left, came back 20-30 min. later and a good 20gb of data was on the thing (yeah it's way faster at xfers) and then I started to use my apps.

I started with Kindle which asked for my username and password and registered my new device. I was crushed, realizing my data was lost :(

Then I tried Checkbook, and shockingly, all of my data was there! Apparently what happens, somehow somewhere in the process (probably along with the settings in that nebulous "other" category of data) all of the app data was placed on the device even though none of the actual apps were.

So long story short: sync and backup your 3G right before you activated and setup your 3G S, you should get nearly all of your data. Some exceptions include apps that put their data in the wrong place (I'm a developer, apps get long term and short term storage and some devs use the short term for long term stuff.) and also many passwords will be forgotten but that's probably for the best anyway.

So far it's been a great experience with the upgrade.

5. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

And yes, I can independently verify that NFSU kept my progress and purchased cars. However, I am quite a bit more enamored with Real Racing, it's fantastic and looks much better than NFSU and has WAY better opponent AI, graphics, and most importantly, control.

YMMV though, no reason you can't buy both, they're super cheap.

6. ddtburg macrumors newbie

Got it to work

I did all of the above and finally restarted my iphone and it worked.