Do AT&T stores give sim cards?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entlassen, Sep 12, 2014.

1. entlassen, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

entlassen macrumors member

I have an old 3GS on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited data plan and fulfilled my AT&T 2-yr contract a long time ago.

If I buy the T-mobile unlocked iPhone 6, can I bring it to an AT&T store and ask for a AT&T nano-sim card and have them transfer my old service to the new phone?
    Will they charge me an arm and a leg for the nano-sim card?
    Will they charge me additional activation fees or whatever for doing this?

2. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

Any insight on this would be appreciated, thanks!

3. Rafterman macrumors 68000

As long as you are using their service and the phones involved are either theirs or unlocked, they should do it for you. I've never been charged for the sim card or the service transfer.

4. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks. The reason I ask is because I have heard AT&T charging people $25 for sim cards.

Could I actually just order a SIM card like
    http://www.amazon.com/AT-Nano-SIM-Card-iPhone/dp/B009DRLCXK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and transfer my number & service to the new card? I fulfilled my 2-yr contract a few years ago and never got off of it. I'm not sure if I could just plop in this card and easily have them transfer my plan to the new sim/phone, or if there are more things I'd have to do. I do not have a GoPhone plan, like many of these Amazon reviewers say they do.