Do battery monitor apps drain battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrownVic, Nov 5, 2016.

1. CrownVic macrumors regular

CrownVic

Good morning! Im still new to Mac, so I apologize if this is a silly question. I wanted to track battery cycles and temperature (not sure how accurate it is, but still) so I downloaded an app called Battery Monitor. I was wondering if an app like that could use power in the background and even hurt performance?

Thanks!

2. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Yes, it uses CPU cycles and those use power. The power comes from the battery. Probably not at all noticeable unless it's incredibly badly written though.

Check your energy tab in activity monitor and you can see if it's using a substantial amount of energy. Likely it is not.

3. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

I "quit" the app and checked activity monitor and it said that the app wasn't using anything. I'll probably delete it because I only wanted to check the cycles. Maybe I'll download it if I need it in the future :) thank you!!

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Or you could just keep it installed and not have it running all the time. There is usually option in the Preferences for that or it may go with installing in the startup items to get rid of that it would be in the Users & Accounts -> Login Items tab just delete its entry to prevent startup.

5. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

That's a great idea! I think I'll do that instead :)