Do Black iPhone cables work?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by motoleo, Feb 13, 2012.

1. motoleo, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The user reviews on Amazon don't look too good for this particular product. Beware.

3. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Hmm... Just as I had thought...

Are there any working black cables, does anyone on this site have one?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The only black cable I have is a car charger from AT&T that I bought when I had the original iPhone. It worked on the 3GS and works on the 4S as well.

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

The color of the plastic does not affect the performance of the electronics. There is no reason why it can't work; just the question is does anyone make one that does work.

6. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Yes. That's essentially what I'm asking.

But as far as color goes also, do you think that black on black matches? I've always been accustomed to white on black. Imagine black Apple headphones. How would that look?

7. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

several good sellers on ebay just look at the trader rating black plastic vs White if it's well made what's the difference? :confused:

9. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I just thought that maybe a black iPhone with a black USB cable might look too generic.

I suppose I'd have to see it in real life- does it present a "cool factor"? I'm asking for opinions.

Oh, and I don't like the monoprice one, it has "monoprice" written on it. And it's too long.
    Upon further inspection: And it looks too plastic too.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

"Cool factor?" Who gives a rip about that? It's a cable to charge and sync a phone. One isn't going to pick up girls with a black charging cable.

11. this providence macrumors newbie

If you want "cool factor", maybe a Dexim cable would do the trick?

I have one that I picked up just from Best Buy for no other reason than it looks interesting...

12. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

:O .............. I've never seen anything like that before. But I'm not that eccentric. It is mesmerizing though....

Well of course it has to have a cool factor- how else are you going to justify the outrageous pricing? I'm taking a step back from my computer trying to imagine what a black USB cord would look like. I think it might work if the icons on the tips are bright enough. It kind of evens it out.

Like I had an old black Samsung in-wall charger, but I gave it away- I wasn't really feelin' it. I wanted the white Apple charger. It's clean, it looks like a little box, and it looks like it works better.

I admire people's charging accessories when they have it plugged in at the medical facilities where I work.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I bought a black cable from an AT&T store and it has been working without any problems. When plugged in car charger or AC outlet.

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I have tried all the knock-off Apple small chargers like the one you posted about. Out of about 10 I bought, 5 worked, 4 did not and 1 made a horrible high pitched squeel. My advice, skimp on cables, not on chargers.

Belkin, Griffin, Apple, Scosche are reliable good brands. I like Belkin the most.

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

... seriously? Now that's just weird.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Mine do. Buy from reputable sources. Stop digging around among the cheapest options out there.

17. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Well said.