do brightness levels effect battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by huskerwr38, Jul 27, 2008.

1. huskerwr38 macrumors member

i like my brightness levels all the way up, will this effect the battery life if I were to turn it down?

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Yes, brightness affect battery life a lot (as well as auto brightness).

3. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

yes, this will effect the battery life. just like with a laptop
    go to settings-brightness turn off auto brightness and select the level of brightness you want

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

to maximize battery life, it's best to keep the brightness down. Even at the lowest setting though the screen is highly visible so don't worry about it. I find it only necessary to turn up the brightness when I go outside.

5. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Why does apple tell us to turn on auto brightness as one of the ways to persevere battery life?

6. jsgrabo macrumors regular

the "auto brightness" will change the brightness according to ambient light so you dont have to keep adjusting it. For example, when you in a low light environment, the screen will dim. In a bright area, the screen will brighten. Thats about it. "Convenience".

7. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

I understand how it functions, what I dont understand is why some are saying to turn it off to save battery when the apple site clearly says to turn it on to persevere battery life.

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

They're working on the assumption that people who want their screen bright will keep it set at a brightness that is greater than is necessary for many situations just so that it's as bright as they desire in the worst ambient lighting situations.

9. atluten macrumors 6502

I would say that the part of turning it off to save battery is if you frequently step outside and the phone has to increase the brightness, thereby using more power. Apple is guessing that more people will spend more time indoors when using the phone, so the brightness of the display can be lowered and battery life will be longer.

10. ocbaud macrumors member

i turned auto brightness off and the manual control down to a little under halfway and noticed a big increase in battery life, infact i think it was the biggest drain on battery for me was having auto brightness on

11. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

Yes. It is a big factor in battery life. Also, there have been some reports that certain screen protectors can block or obstruct the light sensor. But I'm not sure how that will affect what the iPhone thinks is "ambient" light levels.

12. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Dramatically.

Try turning down to 30% - Still readable indoors
    Turn up to 50% - If outdoors
    Turn up to 100% - Only if needed // extremely bright and unavoidable conditions

Set Auto-Brightness; ON ... it helps.

Turn Wifi/3G/Location Services/Push; OFF ... until needed.

I'm getting one whole day of usage, with these settings in place. :cool:

R-Fly

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Yes but I don't find that it drains my battery that much. At work and during the day, I put my brightness all the way up and it is really not anymore drained by the end of the day than it is if I don't turn the brightness up which happens every now and then