Do Bumpers offer any real protection?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RebeccaL, Jan 10, 2011.

1. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Do Bumper cases offer any real protection to the iPhone besides scratch protection?

I use screen protectors and side stickers and am considering adding a bumper style case for better grip. But I am also wondering if these minimalistic cases offer any real life protection against drops and bumps?

The manufacturers are promoting their bumpers as drop protecting, but I would like to know about real experience from you guys. The bumpers I like are the Hula, Neo Hybryd EX and some of the cool looking aluminum ones.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I think so. I've dropped mine and the cases I have had have protected my iphone nicely.

3. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i would say it offers decent protection,but with the loose fit, it can end up doing more damage on the metal bezel.

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I've been using bumpers since I got my phone in July. I've used the scosche bandedge, knockoff eBay apple bumpers, and most recently the sw-box bumper. I'm admittedly very clumsy and have dropped my phone a bunch of times, sometimes on asphalt. I didn't have a problem until a few weeks ago, when the phone's back shattered. Luckily Apple gave me a free replacement, but I'm not taking a chance with a bumper again. They do offer decent protection, but not the best.

5. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend going with a more protective option. The otterbox commuter, Incipio DRX, and Speck Candyshell are great cases

6. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I personally like bumper style cases. I have electron case on that is my favorite, also have neo hybrid ex and I love that case also, both offer good protection just not on the glass only on edges.

7. bcp23 macrumors member

I think it offers some protection. It probably depends on how the phone lands during the drop if it would be affected.

I remember seeing a youtube vid of some guy doing drop tests with the bumper from 3, 6, and 20 ft. It survived the drops from 3 and 6 ft, but shattered at 20 ft.

Then there was another where it was dropped three times from chest height and it shattered the front with the bumper on the third drop.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Depending on the angle you drop your phone, it can still shatter even in a bumper. It's not great drop protection, but good enough for most people.

9. ziulmota macrumors newbie

it does not protect 100% from damages on drops but it still protects from scratches

Ps. I don't have an iPhone so I don't know if protects or not

10. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Protection is very marginal. The main purpose of the bumper is to enable the phone to function.

11. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

It depends.

The Apple Bumper would offer barely any protection while the ImpactBand would offer tons of protection.

12. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Very true. I've seen an Impact Band, they offer amazing protection. I would have bought one prior to my phone getting scratched with a bumper, but I didn't know about the impact band. Also it looks nicer in person than on the web.

13. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Very little protection if any. I wouldn't rely on it.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

They offer a bit of protection against ... dropped calls :cool: