Do cables randomly fail for anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jollyreaper, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jollyreaper macrumors regular

I can't keep track of which ones were original and which ones are cheapies from Amazon at this point but it's become routine for cables to randomly fail. Works fine for months, fails, new cable works fine. It ain't the phone. This is the old style port. Never, ever had this problem with generic usb cables. Anyone else encounter this? I guess it's cheap chinese knockoff syndrome but they make standard usb cables, too...

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The only problem I've had with cables is that they tend to fray at their flex points after years of use.

3. 869639 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why you buying knock-off cables to begin with.

Apple gives free replacements on cables as long as the device you walk into the store with has warranty....when my cable starts to give out, I just go to my nearest Apple Store and get it replaced, they take my old one, give me new one.

Since I buy Apple products yearly, I'm always able to get a new cable, It works for me, so I'm sure it'll work for you, and this way I refrain from buying knock-off cables.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I only buy Apple cables and have never had one fail.

6. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Ditto

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You get what you pay for. Through all generations I have used Apple and Apple only cables. Result? Not one has ever failed on me. I've seen the knock off stuff, it feels different and is sub standard. I'd go out and spring for the real deal as suggested above.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I have never had any of my Apple cables fail, ever. If you have that many fail and that often, you got to be doing something wrong. Cable from other makers are never going to be the quality of Apple's cables.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The only one I've ever had fail is the lightning cable I use in bed. But that's kinda my own fault - cables aren't designed to be rolled on! :D

10. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

Never had a cable fail. The only "problems" I've had ended up being lint and dust in the port. Everything worked fine after a little cleaning.

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I've had several lightning cables fail on me. Not only fail, but the ends would get charred and they even ruined my wife's iphone 5, thankfully I had square trade on it.

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

when i got the iPhone 5 one of my cords got torn apart, but that was the only one. if you take good care of them they will last.

13. KevinMac macrumors regular

KevinMac

I had my 30 pin cable fail on me last night after an hour of use. It was from a brand new old stock iPhone 4 I just bought

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. I have never bought a 3rd party cable and I have never had one fail :)

15. rockitdog macrumors 68020

They've always worked fine for me, except for my cable for my iPad 2 that started to come apart but I attribute that more to my kids than I do anything else...

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No I only use the one that came in the box and it still works great.

17. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

So, does everyone just bring the same cable everywhere? I tend to put cables where I need them so I don't have to remember to bring one, harder to lose. One at work, one in the car, one at home, a couple of spares for when one craps out. Carrying the same cable everywhere makes losing them too easy.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, I'd had cables fail from time to time. I've gotten shorts, burn outs, fraying, just stopped working cables. All are original Apple ones. The only cables that I've never seen fail are the Apple certified ones from Amazon, Belkin, Griffin. Go figure.

19. blarivee macrumors 6502

Apple cables have authentication chips in them. The knockoffs make a cheap/fake authentication which works in one version of the iOS but when Apple changes the protocols or updates the iOS, these knockoffs fail to function. USB cables are passive and do not have these authentication on the cable themselves, which is why you can buy knockoffs and still be able to use them without problems.

20. robjulo macrumors 6502a

The cables will fail with heavy use. We've had three replaced in our house. The Apple store has done so without batting an eye, which gives me an idea the failure rate may be fairly high.

21. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I hate knockoff lightning cables. Nothing but problems. I never really had issues with any Apple cables