Do cam pictures get downscaled when texted to dumbphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maclook, Aug 9, 2010.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm wondering if the iPhone's cameral roll pictures are downscaled when I send them to dumbphones or if it sends the original sized image

2. Absolem macrumors regular

Sent to my brothers blackjack it gets downscaled alot. It might be better if he saved it and then opened it but I don't think so.

3. jdwebby macrumors newbie

Nope. Tried sending a picture to my friend's droid X and it bitched that the pic was to big.

So no u can't send iPhone high quality pics to dumbphones. Lol

4. Silenthillnight macrumors member

that is more on the limitations of the MMS standard than any phone's ability to receive an image

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Well, I dunno...I can send full-size iPhone pics to a friend's dumbphone just fine, but my dad's RAZR pitches a fit about it if I try to send one to it. So I think MMS limitations do come into play, but it'd seem that the hardware on the receiving end might have a say in things as well.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Normally MMS is limited to 300kb.

When you send an MMS, your phone (iPhone or not) will send it at the maximum size that it thinks is possible.

On the iPhone, that can be seen in: Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network under "MMS Max Message Size".

If you try and send a photo (or other type of media) above this size, the phone will either lower the quality of the content or give you an error.

The phone then sends the message to your carrier's MMSC (Multimedia Messaging Service Centre). It is then forwarded to the recipient's network's MMSC.

That MMSC then notifies the recipient's device that there is a new message to collect.

The device connects to the MMSC using a data connection, and as part of the connection process, the MMSC identifies the capabilities of the device (through a User Agent string) - e.g. can it receive the type of content in question, what is the maximum size of image that the device supports.

This is really the key step in determining the quality of the received image. If the receiving phone only has a low resolution display, the phone will only get a low resolution image.

If the MMSC doesn't know (because it doesn't recognise the User Agent string of the phone) what the device can receive, it'll usually default to the lowest quality setting (usually 160 * 120 pixels).

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

there is a difference if you paste a picture into mms or if you use the camera button. that way usually works but a direct paste does not work with regular phones.