Do Canon L lenses ever go on sale?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 064629009, Dec 23, 2010.

1. 064629009 macrumors member

I was looking at the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 and the 24-105mm f/4 L lenses...do they ever go on sale?

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Generally not. I think every now and then they offer rebates on either the lenses themselves, or on combo kits with a body + lens.

You could also consider buying used if you are looking for a discount.

3. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

grey market .... but then you have the whole warranty issue

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

L series lenses come with a worldwide warranty. Everything else doesn't sadly.

Offers do come up every now and then. I've had a few cashback deals from Canon on my bodies and flash guns. I managed to get most of my lenses at a decent UK price from retail stores (A couple thought from a decent UK ebay seller)

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Some people rail against buying used lenses, but a gently used L lens can be quite affordable. The trick is to find a reputable seller or be able to handle the lens before buying.

6. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Refurbished [with same warranty] lenses are also available... not a large discount, but little bit here and there helps. Can also look at buying via Mister Rebates and eBay - both together can give ~7.5% discount.

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Nothing wrong with buying second hand L gear. I've always done it with no regrets.

8. jabbott macrumors 6502

I purchased the 24-70mm f/2.8L this March and it had an $80 instant rebate offered through Canon. I purchased the USA version of the lens at B&H Photo and Video.

There are numerous other Canon lens rebates going on right now, which are explained in detail here. The best deal is $400 off the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM when purchased with a 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, 7D or 60D. It is $200 off when purchased by itself.

Also, here is a fairly comprehensive list of Canon rebates going back to 2005.

9. 064629009 thread starter macrumors member

Should I get something off the grey market then if it has a worldwide warranty anyways?

10. jabbott macrumors 6502

At least in the U.S., if you purchase a gray market (imported) Canon lens, then the reseller handles any warranty claims rather than Canon. Here is more detail on how B&H handles gray market lens warranties. The other important thing to note is that Canon instant rebates do not apply to imported lenses, so in some cases it can be cheaper to purchase the domestic version anyway.

11. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

It isn't much of a trick to look at what's available on KEH, Adorama and B&H.

12. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

L lenses typically go on sale twice a year by a rebate program, however, the sale items don't always cover the lens you may be looking for. I have bought all my l lenses through the rebate programs, with the exception of my 400mm 2.8L IS