Do case manufacturers get new product releases early?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by rgr555, Mar 10, 2012.

1. rgr555 macrumors 6502

I'm wondering how these cases are already molded and manufactured by the thousands before the new iPad is even released.

I know it's just mm difference than the iPad 2 but the new tapered back should be noticeably different. How did they get it right? Did they get their hands on the iPad 3 or a mold of it early? Usually factories in China take 2-3 months to mass produce things so it just makes me wonder.

2. glen e, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

glen e macrumors 68030

A few do.....not much but some get dimensions early.

3. trek360 macrumors 6502

I don't think they get the dimensions any earlier than the announcement time. In another case thread, someone mentioned that when they asked the case maker how they knew it fit the new iPad, the response was that they just put in a cardboard filler of about 1mm and the case fit.

Until the 16th, no one will know for sure.

4. glen e macrumors 68030

Apple store products get dimensions early...in case,marware...the big boys....

5. rgr555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know! Considering I already ordered the Marware CEO Hybrid for the new iPad. I wanted it to be 100% snug fit.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple only shares new designs with a very few select partners before release, and this is under very controlled conditions - usually at Apple's offices without the opportunity to take a device out of the building...

7. ijustgraduated macrumors member

The manufacturers for the cases that were offered for the iPhone 4 antenna issue probably receive information about newer models.