Do cheap plastic mugs keep coffee warmer then paper?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jan 23, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Do cheap plastic travel mugs keep coffee warmer then paper cups?

[​IMG]

Versus

[​IMG]

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Some do if they are insulated for heat...you can get pretty good 'outdoor-grade' ones for cheap and they definitely keep liquid warmer for longer periods of time. Also, they are much more environmentally friendly and cost effective :)

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's all about the insulation, and paper generally doesn't have much.

5. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

In general, it's probably a safe bet that they do. Compare the heat capacity of a couple layers of waxed paper to few mm of some commonly used plastics (PET, HDPE, etc.) [I'm not claiming that the mug is necessarily made of X material, but it's not hard to do much better than a super-thin sheet of paper...nevermind the lid. Heck, much of your savings is coming there, after all...

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's porcelain though. It's not very portable.

Keep Cups are decent. I carry mine everywhere so that I don't need to use up paper coffee cups.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. iNewton4000 macrumors newbie

iNewton4000

Back from hibernation...

^THAT^ InfoGraphic alone is reason enough to break my MacRumors post slumber.

That is all.

9. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I got a Thermos vacuum insulated mug a few months ago. You gotta put the liquid in at a good-to-drink temperature, because it holds the temperature for hours and hours. If I put in coffee that's just brewed in the morning, it'll be too hot to drink for about 4 hours.

I just bought a cheaper plastic mug that I think is air space insulated, but not vacuum insulated. It might be foam insulated....whatever it is, it's microwavable, unlike the metal Thermos mug. However, it only keeps hot stuff hot for an hour or so before you can tell it's cooling down.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is nice but consider what you drink from now and decide if it holds enough.
    I have one of those and while it is not drop-worthy, it is definitely portable. I've taken it to quite a few places and it's been good. Problem I have with it though is that it is not super large. When I go, I want to go with a little more than 10 oz of coffee.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think they were designed right down the street from me in Melbourne, so I probably have more options than you, but there (at least) 3 different sizes, and the largest size is quite large.

It doesn't insulate well though, so I suppose that extra coffee would just be cold when you drink it!