Do (cosmetically) perfect rMBPs exist? (pop/ticks/alu dmg)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by varmarken, Oct 27, 2014.

1. varmarken macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Last week I received a custom made 13 inch MacBook Pro Retina (mid 2014). Unfortunately it had a tiny notch in the aluminium surrounding the display (where the aluminium and rubber band meet), so I brought it to the Apple Store.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the manager acknowledged a replacement. As I didn't want to wait 1-2 weeks for a BTO version, I decided to walk out of the Apple Store with a stock version instead...only to realise that this one also has minor cosmetic flaws in the aluminium. These are so tiny that I can ignore them. However, the machine has now started to produce the infamous pop/tick/creak sounds from the case...damn it!

I've ordered a pentalobe screwdriver, hoping I can fix the issue by either tightening the screws or reseating the bottom plate entirely (as suggested elsewhere on this forum). From what I can read, however, this is not a guaranteed fix.

I really don't know if I should bring this one back. I might end up getting something even worse. Also, probably I wouldn't be able to reproduce the issue on spot in a (noisy) Apple Store - is this "required" during the 14 day return window, or is it "no question asked"? (I'm a European currently visiting the US, and we don't have Apple Stores back home, so I don't know how this works, sorry.)

Having already experienced creaking on a previous rMBP, this one has a less frequent and less loud version. It still annoys me though. What are your thoughts? Is it likely getting a (cosmetically and functionally) perfect rMBP, or should one rather be happy that there are no issues like (clusters of) dead pixels and then ignore the minor cosmetic flaws (and try to fix these on your own if possible)?

Thanks a lot for reading.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I've yet to experience one that doesn't creak in some way - but that's the same for all laptops, not just MBPs.

Mine is cosmetically perfect (well it was until the last repair it had anyway :mad:). The only device I've had arrive damaged out of the box was an old iPhone 5.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suppose I've lucked out, my case is devoid of any defects - I'm a happy camper. I've noticed any creaking, I'm not saying its not doing, but I just don't notice.

4. varmarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your post.

I see. I may be expecting too much of the MacBooks in terms of creaking then. After all it is a device consisting of three major parts, and obviously these will move a little under some conditions such as when pressure is being applied, changes in temperature etc. I guess you're right in saying that there'll be creaking on any laptop. I think I just notice it more on my MacBook as it's probably more loud because it is metal flexing rather than just plastic, and also I paid more for this laptop than for a regular one so I expect very good build quality.

Btw I assume they're responsible if they damage your machine during repair..?

I'll probably attempt to reseat the bottom plate when my screwdriver arrives. I'm just nervous that I might end up stripping the screws. Anyone got any leads on how to avoid this?

----------

Thank you for your post.

Glad to hear this. So no exchanges, you got a perfect machine in first try so to speak?

5. shakra00 macrumors member

Mine has creakings too, if it makes you feel any better. I think its perfectly normal, its just that some people dont notice this kinds of stuff.

Well, I do, I have OCD

6. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

Chipped a tiny dot into the casing when I dropped my mouse on to it. Don't care about anything cosmetic as I will never resell this computer.

7. varmarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting.

As you've noticed it, I'm guessing it's an annoyance to you as well as it is to me.

From what I can read online, the 14 day return window applies to any issue, but I am not able to tell if I'm supposed to reproduce the slight creaking in the store, which I probably can't. Seriously considering going in for (yet another) replacement. The laptop just doesn't have that "sturdy feel" when it produces these occasional sounds. On the other hand the screen appears to be free of dead pixels and retention, which I read was a common issue (at least for the very first generation of retinas, dunno if this still applies).

I got my screwdriver, and no screws were loose. Read elsewhere that reseating the bottom plate could help, but I don't really feel like taking it apart (in fear of stripping the screws).

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Glad I don't work in retail

As far as I can tell my rMBP is just fine no noises everything smooth and when I got it the case was perfect.

I have no OCD though, there may well be things I don't even notice, sounds like this is your issue, not the computers.

If you aren't happy return it, the apple refurb store is perfect for most of us because of people with OCD and unrealistic expectations.