Do current 5c/5s models save battery live when using 2G/EDGE data only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fruitninja, May 11, 2014.

1. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's unfortunately gotten more difficult to test this, as quite a few carriers have configured the iOS devices on their networks to disable the ability to turn off 3G and favor EDGE.

But, EDGE is so slow, that I'm guessing that any power savings you get from going EDGE only gets canceled out by how much battery is wasted just waiting for your data to come down.

2. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

I am talking about factory unlocked phones bought straight from Apple, sorry. Is 3G/4G so prevalent in your country that you can simple forget about good old EDGE/2G?

----------

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=366

GPRS (General packet radio services) 2.5G -- 35Kbps to 171kbps
    EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) 2.75G -- 120Kbps to 384Kbps

Any word on which of these are available on current 5c/5s models?

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Doesn't matter. Even on factory unlocked iPhones, a carrier file can be used to dictate what network selection options are presented to the user, for as long as that SIM is inside the phone.

In the US, AT&T has announced plans to sunset EDGE entirely by January 1, 2017, and the other major GSM carrier has announced plans to refarm its EDGE coverage to LTE by mid 2015. The remaining major carriers run CDMA networks, where EDGE never existed for them.

The 5s and 5c both support GPRS and EDGE.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yes, AT&T is pretty well covered with 3G now.

What's ironic is that, because of the original iPhone with no 3G, AT&T had to spend months backfitting their system for a higher speed EDGE so the new Apple device wouldn't look pitiful running at 59 Kbps. This also delayed their upgrading to 3G.

Reportedly some all 3G UK carriers even had to go back and deploy EDGE again.

Too bad the first iPhone didn't come out on Verizon. At the time, they required every new smartphone to have 3G.

Note that in almost the entire world, no carrier implemented more than 236 Kbps with EDGE. (There was a Russian carrier that did, I think.)

5. psycho693 macrumors newbie

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 5 and I'm on Rogers. It does not support edge or 2g I can only get 3G and LTE