Do Denon ADH-2000's NEED an amp?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ozreth, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So im looking for a pair of hedphones that are a step up from my standard ipod headphones. Im not really a sound junky but hate ear buds and would like a better sound than what I've got.

That being said, the only headphones that I find very attractive are the ADH-2000's. LOVE the look to the point that it has spoiled me and I dont want to buy anything else.

The problem is that I have read in several places that you NEED to use an amp with these headphones, which would not make them ideal for every day commuting and whatnot.

Thoughts?

2. brownbread macrumors newbie

brownbread

You won't need an amp, but if you don't use a headphone amp you may not benefit from all that the Denon ADH-2000 have to give. They're a large headphone, large high rated drivers and as such their 'sweet spot' will take a lot more driving than a smaller set of headphones.

This means that to achieve the sweet spot of the headphones, you'll be cranking up your volume quite loud. But when you do this, you'll crank beyond the happy zone of your audio device. If you get me.

That's basically the reason people are suggesting an amp is critical. It is not critical, but just a simple headphone amp would yield a nicer experience. You don't have to spend a lot of money, just get a reasonable name. No funky features - just as simple as possible.

Don't let this put you off them! Buy them, try them without, see what you think, that's my opinion.