Do Designers need Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danielk1989, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Danielk1989 macrumors newbie

My friend recently told me that it was silly that you needed a mac to be taken serious in the audio technology field. So that made me start to think if it was true of the design world, I'm going to school for design. So automatically as designers people are going to want something that really looks great which mac does really well. On top of just how it looks and the "status symbol" it has. I am using the colleges build of windows 7 and it is so buggy. and the laptop I'm using feels cheap and fragile. I would totally say getting a mbp just so you have a fashionable computer but you don't really need that much performance is a complete waste of money. But for someone like me who is going to be on one all day and rely on it for my income, is it worth it to shell out the extra cash for quality?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do they need one? No. Plenty of inhouse teams work on Windows networks. The main advantage of that is usually better support from corporate IT teams.

Are Macs nicer to use? Yes. Do Macs retain more of their resale value? Yes. Does it make sharing files a little easier? In many cases, yes. Easier to keep on top of colour calibration when needed? Yes. Is OS X familiarity a requirement for many design jobs? Undoubtedly, yes.

3. Danielk1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

so sense i am already fairly familiar with windows OS, should i switch to mac so i am familiar with both, I'm getting a mac anyways but it's always good to have more reasons.

4. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Nobody needs a Mac. There's nothing a Mac can do that a computer running Windows can't do, and in most cases the Windows computer is capable of a lot more.

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Being familiar with both will open up opportunities for you. Some places may be all Mac, other all Windows, some mixed. The more you know the better/faster you can fit in. It's good practice in general :)

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not in the design industry. There's a huge range of plug-ins, convertors and prepress stuff that are Mac-only.

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I agree. And yes, for most purposes both a Mac and PC will do the same job. But, if you are looking to work for a company or customer that prefers Macs is very good to be familiar.

8. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

My productivity improved upon switching over to Mac. In business, that means more £££ which is a good enough reason for me!

9. wct097, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

wct097 macrumors 6502

I would worry more about the fundamentals than what kind of impression you want to make with the tools you use/own. What is more important to someone going to culinary school? Having an expensive knife set, or learning how to cook?

The MBP is an excellent machine, but it's just a tool. Lots of people like to make their tools a fashion statement, but the bottom line is that tools are tools and you'll get a lot further concentrating on learning your trade than making sure you're using the popular tool.

A mechanic can replace a clutch with Craftsman tools just as easily as they can with Snap-on tools. A graphics designer can edit photos with Photoshop on Windows 7 just as easily as on OS X. A farmer can work land with a Kubota as easily as with a John Deere.

I'm a developer. I own a MBP. I develop on multiple platforms and am proficient in multiple languages. I know my way around Windows, Linux, Mac, and iSeries machines. I came across a job posting the other day boasting that the company was a Mac only company. That fact alone told me everything I needed to know about the job and the company. I expect the person posting it felt that it showed some level of class or distinction. I felt that it showed ignorance, arrogance, and inexperience.

edit: I have a friend that works for a company in the top 10 Fortune 100. They're allowed to choose what computer they prefer between several PC brands, and Apple. I maintain that any company worth working for will let you work with the tools you prefer.

10. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You don't need a Mac for much. I think the whole stereotype of creative professionals using a Mac is based on facts that are no longer true or relevant. I'm a hobby photographer and most of what I use on the Mac can be done on Windows and where there is no Windows version, there is a close and sometimes superior equivalent. The Mac however, is much more pleasant to use.

With regards to your comment about your current laptop being cheap and fragile: If you're looking for a well built and powerful laptop, it is very easy to find a non-Apple equivalent. It may not be 100% aluminium but they would probably take more abuse.

11. dreamtenstudios macrumors member

What type of design are you doing? I'm a web designer and there are certain tools that I use regularly that are exclusive to Mac (Coda, CSS Edit, Aperture, Omnigraffle, Kaleidescope, LittleSnapper) so for me it's a no brainer. I also run VMWare so if I need a PC app I can always fire up Windows within my Mac. Can't fire up OSX on a PC.

Another huge plus about Macs is that they don't slow down over time with use. My PCs would be fast initially, but after a year or so everything was so sluggish it made me want to format or buy a new computer.

12. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

no you dont need it. coming from a windows background... you definitely do not need a mac.
    however - their screen is just too lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!! it makes design work look a lot better! :D

13. sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

I am a designer too. But I used to windows almost 10 years.

I don't think designers MUST need a MAC. IN the past, many designers select MAC, one of the reason is MAC more powerful in the floating point. It is really good for publishing and graphic design. And MAC OX is more easy and fashionable for designers.

But for 3D rendering, Video editing most of the company will select PC... the reason is PC can do more advance and complicated work.

But it already change when Apple use Intel CPU. You can see the Mac Pro is a powerful monster.

But you need to know is PC can do same performance with MAC but the price is half of the MAC.

Anyway, I will buy MBP 15" 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 soon !

Why? I need to install xcode. And I want have a MBP a long time. :p

ANyway, no matter PC or MAC. IT is only a tools. The most important is your designer skill.

14. sydenham macrumors regular

Perhaps the add stated that it was Mac only to indicate that the potential applicant should know his way around the Mac platform, and Mac only programs. I imagine this would avoid the hassle of cross platform complications if there were any. If you had your choice, what platform would you prefer to work in????

15. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I dont think its really true unless you worked somewhere that had proprietary software written just for macs or a boss that was a mac fanboy. A decent laptop will be a similar price whether its mac or windows, so i think its personal choice.

16. cube macrumors G5

17. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Since I can run Windows and Mac OS on my mac I'd say anything a Windows computer can do a Mac can do an more. Not the other way around.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple is heralded in the audio department because there are fundamental differences in the way Mac OS and Windows handle audio, and extras like firewire. One can make tweaks and improvements to get a similar or even better experience than any Mac OS box but this involves concocting a potent mix of hardware and software solutions and making sure everything works correctly, or using ASIO drivers.

Design has a similarly rooted history although the differences are less profound these days. Mac OS was the first to offer things like advanced color , typography and desktop publishing apps (thanks, Adobe).

19. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

You can do all of what you want on any system; Mac, Windows, Linux...doesn't really matter. What does matter is what are you most productive on? Where I work it was predominantly PC/Windows. The only 2 Mac's were used by the Marketing and Web folks. When I started, I said I'm more productive on a Mac. My boss said, ok..but they're expensive right? I ended up with a MBP 13" w/ 8GB of RAM, all under $1,500. We pay that much for the Lenovo lappy's. So it was a win/win...

I'm now far more productive. Could I do the same on Windows? Sure...maybe not as fast, or as seamless, but I could do it.

The point; get what fits you and makes you productive...

20. wct097 macrumors 6502

The ad was for an Android Developer position. Developer was to provide their own equipment.

That's like saying a pickup is better than a car because a car can carry people, but a pickup can carry cargo.... without regard to the needs of the person buying the vehicle. If my job doesn't require and OS X specific applications, then the ability to run OS X & Windows is irrelevant.

21. nyutnyut macrumors member

i'm sure they are in the minority, but I have worked with printers that absolutely do not take PC files.

just FYI.

22. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

What printers were those?

23. wct097 macrumors 6502

Ancient stylewriter?

24. sydenham macrumors regular

This doesn't make much sense. Neither does the point of you passing the job up because they use Macs. You insinuated you were an expert in all of the operating systems...

25. idunn macrumors 6502

Intuitive ease

There is a very good reason to use Macs, if in the arts.

I've used Windows and Macs, although most of my experience with the latter, thankfully. My brief impression of Windows as an OS was of generally second-rate software always a step behind Apple, and rarely if ever as creative or intuitive. That last word is key.

In doing graphic design work professionally, I worked exclusively on Macs. Our entire office did, save for one Windows machine the office manager used occasionally, only because of one piece of accounting software. In my case, and my contention, that those dealing in the arts in some way just want what they want as seamlessly and simply as possible. I know some Mac fanboys are total geeks, really into the specs and tweaking the hardware to their individual content. So my opinion is not universal, but I could care less. I just want a computer to do what I want as easily as possible. In my experience Apple is best at providing this experience, in offering products that are quite intuitive. That can help anyone, but particularly those of us wired a certain way, with the vision of what we would like to accomplish, but little patience for or understanding of how a computer manifests it.

Having long since forsaken Windows, I can only assume that they are capable of most tasks a Mac would do. In certain fields Windows was stronger due software, if nothing else; my understanding hardcore gamers still often prefer Windows for both software and hardware. But in music, design, etc., the equation shifts, and it is likely the Mac enjoys an advantage in software, aside from ease of its implementation. Moreover, you will surely find a predominance of Mac use in such fields. There is a reason why.

It does not hurt, of course, that Apple excels at beautiful industrial design. I value that. Most of all in how it works, and results derived, but if one is sensible to such things then a decided advantage that the marriage between form and function well done. There can be status as well, but that should be the least of your concerns. The better reason to pay the price premium Apple always commands is because you will have the computer best fitting your needs. If not perfect, the Mac OSX is so elegant that it can be easily learned and adopted. Believe it. Photoshop, for instance, will run on either platform, but one rarely lives entirely within one program for the duration of a day. In the many different areas and tasks one deals with the Mac should prove just more pleasant, more intuitive, thus easier, and likely productive as well.

Try them all if wishing, but choose the system you will be happiest with at the end of the day. No matter what anyone else says, the one happiest with today, next year, and in due loyalty probably ten years hence.