Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
I have a Mac mini attached to a 1080p monitor via HDMI and the picture looks fine. I have a work MacBook Pro which I have attached to the same monitor using a third party USB-C to HDMI hub and the picture quality is worst; less sharp and blurrier but usable. So I tried using the USB-C adaptor to connect my Mac mini to the monitor (I removed its direct HDMI cable) and the pic still looks bad. Is the picture quality always going to look bad with an adaptor, even the official Apple adaptor, or is the quality likely because I'm using a low-cost product?

I chose it because it was one of the few low cost options that had HDCP on it.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
What USB-C to HDMI hub did you use?

1080p is low resolution so any adapter should be sufficient. It's only when you get to 4K that compromises need to be made.

I suppose comparing output from AGDCDiagnose can help describe what is going on. Run the command with the display connected to the HDMI port of the Mac mini, then run the command again with the display connected to the USB-C adapter (use a different file name for the output file). Run the command on the MacBook Pro as well.
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > "AGDCDiagnose.txt" 2>&1

There're many DisplayPort/USB-C to HDMI adapters. Some are better than others.

Things that might affect appearance : scaling (are you using the same resolution in each case?) and chroma sub sampling (this shouldn't be necessary for 1080p).

Reactions: Minxy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.