Do Dock Extenders work with Bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JNGold, Jun 30, 2010.

1. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I am pretty upset that the bumper does not allow most 3rd party dock connectors. I have heard that there are connector extensions. Does anyone have any knowledge of extensions that do allow connection with the iPhone in a bumper?

TIA!

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sendstation makes a dock extender and by all I've seen it should work quite well with the bumper. I would pick up 2 or maybe even 3 but they are pricey at $29 plus shipping.

I personally will be taking my bumper off most likely when I get my skin on. Or I will be taking out my dock inserts in my Bose Sounddock and Memorex Alarm Clock to solve the problem.

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I have been looking for the same thing. I would like a female-male connecter to be used in my car with the stock BMW Ipod connecter that needs to be used to play music in the car. I have searched for a solution, but I can not find one, b/c most of the options use the old ipod 30 pin connecter and not the new ones which come with the ipod/iphone/ipad, so they wont fit the bumper.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

This is the only one I am aware of, comes in black or white, but like I said is overpriced. It comes with a back stand thing for added safety and a universal insert that the stand sits in, but they should offer just the extender w/o the extras, or a package deal of one dock insert with the metal stand thing, the extender itself, and an additional extender or two just for mobile needs for say $39 or $44. That would make it more worth it.

http://sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

5. JNGold thread starter macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Do you know for sure that it will work with the bumper? By looking at the pics of the port extenders, it looks like the old style Apple connector.

6. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

SendStations's does NOT work with the bumper. I had one that I used with my Candyshell on my 3G, tried it when I got my bumper yesterday and it doesn't fit.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Wow, that is surprising, advertised to work with any case, you would think the top portion would be designed at the same size as the smallest traditional apple dock cable.

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

There are cheap eBay versions too... for those interested. Just search dock extender.

9. Applemac85 macrumors newbie

10. slyderulz macrumors member

Why does no one perform a simple search before posting or replying in this forum anymore? A simple search for 'Sendstation' would have brought up this thread I posted 5 days ago:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=952929&highlight=sendstation

There is even an official response from sendstation on the topic.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Forgive me most magnanimous one for replying about something I had heard about without checking for your thread first, as I neither had one nor knew of the problem, only that it existed and I was trying to point someone in that direction. Next time I will try to be more thorough in the process of giving information. Will that be all sire?

12. -MRB macrumors 6502

13. slyderulz macrumors member

Well, since you but it so eloquently...If you want to continue exacerbating the problem of having multiple threads containing the same information, thereby making it harder for anyone to find information in an expedient manner, by all means post to your heart's content oh self-righteous one :D

14. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

SendStations doe not work with the bumper they are a tad to big.

I did put a dremel to the 2 i had and shaved off some plastic now it works fine.

You don't need to take very much off.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Between Docks, Cables, Adapters, & Headphones that do not work with the Apple Bumper, Apple will not be giving out free bumpers to alleviate the antenna issue but each bumper will include a coupon for 50% off a dremel purchase. :D

16. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I bought dock extenders for my iPad..I'll try them on my iPhone 4 with bumper today.

I have three brands: Cablejive, Monoprice, and Meritline.

Note- the inexpensive dock extenders can only do basic functions like charging and syncing...if you want to use the dock extender with devices like the Apple Keyboard dock for ipad then you need an extender with a full set of pins i.e. the Cablejive.

EDIT: nope on the cablejive. i don't think any of these extensions will fit because they are too bulky.

17. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I got a good laugh out of that one. Well done!

18. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I just received this order, and found that it does NOT fit in the bumper opening. Compared to a stock Apple connector, it's bigger all the way around, unfortunately.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X9GR76/ref=oss_product

Looks a bit too fat to grind down with a dremel too (there's only so much plastic to work with you know).

To put this issue to rest, I'm just going to pry off the plastic end and put heat shrink tubing around it, like I saw elsewhere on this forum. THEN the damn thing will fit.

19. gspantid macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just order the iExtent SLIM product from this site.

http://www.valueoutfitters.com/iPod...xtender-iExtend-p/ipodiphonedockiextender.htm

I also use the bumper because it looks like part of the phone (compared to other cases) and I never have to take it off, thanks to this ! :)

20. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

That's a nice option.

To follow up on my previous post (2 up), I couldn't find shrink tubing big enough to wrap around the entire plug. So I picked up Liquid Electrical Tape from a hardware store, and applied multiple coats to the plug end after the plastic cover was pried off. I also snipped of the "teeth" on the little metal arms that lock the connector in place since they are not needed and won't open well without the plastic cover on. On the first coat, I globbed a bunch of the liquid into the cavity where the cable sits, and let it try all night to seal the wires in. Then the second and third coats were thinner just to put a rubber encasement around the whole thing.

It came out pretty good and we are using it now.