Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
USA
Do the early 2011 MBP's have the option to use Apple's Internet recovery disk (off of Apple servers)? I heard that only Macs sold after Lion was released can do this. All other Macs with Lion can only use the recovery disk on the HDD. Is this accurate?

Thanks

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Do the early 2011 MBP's have the option to use Apple's Internet recovery disk (off of Apple servers)? I heard that only Macs sold after Lion was released can do this. All other Macs with Lion can only use the recovery disk on the HDD. Is this accurate?

Thanks
Early 2011 MacBook Pro's and iMacs can use the Internet Recovery for Lion provided they have downloaded and installed the EFI Fireware ROM 2.3 update. For these updates, click on your Mac below:

Last edited:

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
USA
Thanks. I checked my Boot ROM Version and it is the same as your link. My MBP should be OK to boot from Internet Recovery.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Internet recovery is on ALL Macs with Lion (Since it's a feature of Lion), isn't it?

alexcottrill

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
UK
Yeah thanks for trying to clear this up, I bought my Macbook Pro Spring 2011 [it was actually a unwanted/returned model to the store] and it had never been turned on, I noticed there wasn't any recovery disks as I had seen in friend's boxes and on YouTube unboxings. For all I knew someone had taken them out before returning it. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time but I want the peace of mind knowing I can restore it to working order again if something goes wrong [heaven forbid].

-

Btw, @BreakGuy - the links you have so kindly provided wouldn't work. They just sent me to an error page on the Apple domain, which strangely keeps happening to me when being linked directly to a page on the Apple domain [mainly forums and support pages].

Thanks, Alex

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Btw, @BreakGuy - the links you have so kindly provided wouldn't work. They just sent me to an error page on the Apple domain, which strangely keeps happening to me when being linked directly to a page on the Apple domain [mainly forums and support pages].

Thanks, Alex
I can assure you the links work fine. Perhaps clear out your browser's cache. In Safari, press Option+Command+E.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Internet recovery is on ALL Macs with Lion (Since it's a feature of Lion), isn't it?

Different feature. Newer Macs have a recovery feature built in to the EFI (firmware) so even if you put in a blank drive the system can boot from firmware to DL and install Lion to a blank disk. What you are referring to is the Lion recovery partition that Lion installs on the hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.