Do "early adopters" experience more defects?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dapork, Nov 8, 2016.

1. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

I've heard that it's riskier getting a product when it first comes out. Have people here had this experience? Meaning have any of you noticed more glitchy hardware when buying a computer that just came out, as opposed to a refreshed version that comes out a bit later?

I want to get an idea before I buy a new MBP. Does Apple tend to be careful about these things?

2. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

It's pure lottery, take this years Note 7 as an example of "worst case scenario" of taking on a new product that's just came out. But for every horror story there are thousands of products released with no problems at all.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any serious issues that have been missed that would make me want to wait for a refresh. Heck the refresh could just as well introduce new bugs. What has happened is there have been minor bugs that Apple has been able to fix with firmware updates. So if you want to be cautious, it might make sense to wait a couple months after these new models have been out to see if any bugs pop up.

4. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Of course. Manufactures do testing, but nothing compares to putting the product in the hands of customers.

5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Statistically speaking, it's always riskier to be an early adopter. With any new product, you can only test it in so many real world applications without it being leaked (e.g. iPhone 4). And any time you incorporate new technology, there's no accounting for 100% of issues that could arise or how it will degrade several years down the line. Looking only at Apple and Macintoshes however, I would say Apple has a very good track record of making new generations of existing product lines with minimal issues.

6. dapork thread starter macrumors regular

dapork

Cool thanks. I'll be waiting a bit anyway to see some reviews and try them out in stores.

7. Macalway macrumors 68020

I wouldn't worry about this. There are enough defects for everybody.

You have the 'I told you so' crowd, who will say yes, and then you have normal people who are fine.

8. iizmoo macrumors 6502

There really isn't that many new things in the MBP, just a different cobbling together of things. Touchpad is old, just bigger, palm recognition similar to ear recognition in iphone. Keyboard is 2nd gen. Touchbar is similar to every iPhone touch screen, TouchID is on something like 4 or 5th generation now.

Individually each of these items are pretty mature. The only really new thing is the screen, I suppose there could be some horrible manufacturing or design defect possible, but the odd of that is no more or less than for any other monitor you purchase anywhere.

Do we expect some hickups, probably, but they'll be fixed in a few months with software update. Not any different than every single release of OSX or IOS or new iPhone, or new iPad. Your risk in getting the 2016 MBP is not more than buying any other device out there.

The only certainty is no 32GB RAM, and if you wait until 2017, probably lower prices, might be better CPU, and might be option for 32GB RAM.