Do exterior skins/films cause any reduction in cooling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rrm998, Aug 22, 2012.

1. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

Just ask'n. I'm thinking about applying a 3M film to my rMBP.

2. drmountaindeww macrumors member

Not really, no. As long as no vents are being covered, then the heat will just have to dissipate through the skin before it reaches the air to cool off.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. junebug1 macrumors regular

When I got my rMBP I didn't put anything on it to get an idea of what the standard temps were. After a week I installed the Wrapsol top and bottom case (not the wrist rest) and there was no discernible difference from naked to wrapped. Hope that calms your fears a bit.

I'd like to note that the Wrapsol is incredible. I've always used it on my iDevices but never my MBPs. You literally cannot tell it's there. It matches perfectly and is the perfect thickness that nothing feels different once it's on.

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reassurance on the Wrapsol not affecting temps. I bought a Wrapsol for my 13" MBP but haven't put it on yet. I agree with you on the "feel". I've used Zagg InvisibleShield and BestSkinsEver brand skins, and they both look too glossy and have the shiny uneven "orange peel" look. The Wrapsol on the other hand (I had it on an older Macbook Pro 13") looks more matte and I really like the smooth texture feel to it. Its kinda price though at $40-$50 for a full-body skin (VS $25-$30 for a BestSkinsEver full-body skin).

6. rrm998 thread starter macrumors regular

rrm998

Yes, thanks. My fears are calmed.

7. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I had never heard of wrapsol before so i checked out the website and video of the macbook pro 15" application. That video with all the spraying al l over the macbook made me cringe. I don't think I could do that.

8. junebug1 macrumors regular

Honestly there is nothing to worry about. The wet install is truthfully the best and only way to do it...especially once you've tried other application methods. I never spray directly onto the MBP though. Always spray down just the film and then you'll have the ability to lay it down and position it perfectly. Afterwards I squeegee out the bubbles and excess solution then simply have a towel at the edge to wipe up any large drops. Installing Wrapsol should be one of the least worry some things you will ever do with a portable computer.