Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DudeMartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Hello,

I just have a quick question. If I were to connect like a 20" display, and then I would project it from my 13" 2011 MacBook Pro using the ThunderBolt port - would I experience ANY sort of slow-down on the machine? Like could I still play my games at the settings that I was playing on before plugging in the display?

Thanks!

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
If you're using an external USB to DVI display adapter, like Diamond, then I say yes, you'll notice system lag, to the point of aggravation. I bought Diamond USB DVI display adapter because I wanted to have more than 1 external monitor, and the associated services were running at 30% of CPU, and the screen was laggy. It would also crash, meaning all my screens would turn blue, and I had to re-run Detect Display. It was good for text and static images, but jerky on videos. I used it for 2 days, gave up and switched back to the built in mini display port, much happier and will live with 1 external display instead of 2.

As far as I can tell, if you're using the built in mini display port, it shouldn't affect your system. This was with a 2009 15" MacBookPro with 4GB, so results may vary with the speedier 2010 and 2011 machines.

DudeMartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
If you're using an external USB to DVI display adapter, like Diamond, then I say yes, you'll notice system lag, to the point of aggravation. I bought Diamond USB DVI display adapter because I wanted to have more than 1 external monitor, and the associated services were running at 30% of CPU, and the screen was laggy. It would also crash, meaning all my screens would turn blue, and I had to re-run Detect Display. It was good for text and static images, but jerky on videos. I used it for 2 days, gave up and switched back to the built in mini display port, much happier and will live with 1 external display instead of 2.

As far as I can tell, if you're using the built in mini display port, it shouldn't affect your system. This was with a 2009 15" MacBookPro with 4GB, so results may vary with the speedier 2010 and 2011 machines.

Do you think the addition of Thunderbolt would improve the performance of external displays (outputting to them)?

Well all that I am really worried about is... would I be able to keep playing on the same settings that I was playing on before, on Team Fortress 2, even when I have my computer plugged into an external display.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
never noticed any lag and I have used a 2009 MB, 2010 13" MBP and now 2010 15" MBP. I use my external a lot for photo editing in clamshell mode with a wireless keyboard and magic trackpad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.