Do G4 desktops have wireless capabilities?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skittish, Jul 12, 2008.

1. skittish macrumors newbie

My boyfriend recently has had trouble connecting to DSL with his G4 Desktop. The idiots at Comcast have come out several times and conclude each time that it is not a problem on their end but with the ethernet port in his Mac. I don't really believe they know what they are doing though, because they've all admitted they know nothing about Macs. So I brought my Powerbook G4 over and could not connect either. I did some troubleshooting on the phone with Comcast using my powerbook G4 and still nothing...no connection. And I know my ethernet port is just fine! I use my airport 99% of the time!

I heard that a bad ethernet port is not an easy fix or even worth it because macs aren't easily patched like PCs and also because it is integrated with the motherboard? Is this true? Anyone have any other troubleshooting ideas? Every time either of us try to go online using both of our computers we get a pop-up saying can't find server. (Just a side note: every other application on his G4 works perfectly.)

A friend told me to simply by a wireless router and try wireless as a solution (if it is in fact the ethernet port that is bad) How do I know if his G4 desktop has wireless capabilities? If not can I easily install an airport card?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You can purchase an Airport card for the G4. You can find some wireless USB solutions, too.

Tell me. How is this set up at home.

Is it

from the wall --> cable modem --> computer?

is it wall --> cable modem --> router --> computer?

Would also help us saying what operating system your G4 tower is running.

3. skittish thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it runs on OS X (not 100% sure...not my computer and is not in front of me right now)
    The internet hookup is through a cable modem:

from the wall --> cable modem --> computer

When I look under system preferences (on his computer) at the Built-in ethernet connection, it is not recognizing that connection. In other words, it states " cable is unplugged" even though there is a cable plugged in. Would this be a sign that the port is shot? It still doesn't explain why I didn't get any activity on my PowerBook G4.

We've also tried a different ethernet cable with no success.

Comcast came once again and tried replacing the modem. No success.

A friend of mine told me to check the cable line myself by plugging in to a T.V. and seeing if cable indeed comes through. I did receive cable clearly so it seems it is not the actually cable line.

I was thinking of just buying a wireless router and an airport card and hooking up that way. Although I'd like to know more about USB internet capabilities. Can you tell me more about this?

4. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Hum if it doesn't work with another computer then it's probably not the port.

If you don't know anything better, then you might want to just hire someone qualified to set it up.

6. gonyr macrumors 6502

To me, it seems way more likely that it would be a bad ethernet cable than a bad port on the computer. Do you have an extra cable you could test out?

Edit: never mind, just saw the part about trying another cable