Do Great Vacation Deals Actually Exist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Paix247, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I'm graduating college, turning 24, and having a wedding all this May. I would like to plan a vacation/honeymoon, but as a young college grad who is saving for a house, I don't have much extra money. I have been looking on various sites that have package deals, but they advertised prices are never anything near what the price turns out to be when you go through a few steps. My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for a site/place to find great vacation deals?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Here's a few places to look at that I've used in the past:

For general deals & info:
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/travel-deals/

For looking at plane/hotel/etc prices. It aggregates them like froogle and such.
    http://www.sidestep.com/

If you want to go to Vegas then Allegiant Air usually has pretty good deals. If you're in Minneapolis they have flights from Rochester, MN that are $129 each way per person at the moment.

In my opinion........

If you want to relax, go to a beach type place.
    If you want to go sight seeing, well... go to a place with sights you want to see!
    If you want to take in the culture try to stay in a smaller town and actually interact with people that live there.

I don't pretend to be an expert vacation planner but if you have some idea of what you're looking for I might be able to poke around a bit more.

3. Jailbird1818 macrumors member

I used one of the big online sites to plan a trip to Vegas. $700 for 2 people. 4 days, 3 nights is a suite at the Venitian. I waited untill the last min. to book. If you don't have any firm plans, do your best to wait. Most airlines charge less as the departure date gets closer for flights that aren't filling up.

-JB

4. Paix247 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thanks. I am looking to go somewhere relaxing. Our top choices are: Hawaii & Orlando (Disney), we would also consider Las Vegas because it seems to be the best deal. We looked into Orlando a few weeks ago, and the best deal we found was at 7-day trip - Radisson, 6-day theme park pass, and flight for a total of $1,500. We would like to go anytime after May 23. But, given the -23 temp right now... we may considering bumping it up to this weekend. :)

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well if you drive down to Des Moines, IA, Allegiant has round trip to Orlando for about $200 per person. Also it's only a 4 hour drive from Vegas to Disney Land if you don't think you could stand 6-7 days in Disney.

If you stalk Allegiant daily you can get round trip for under $100 per person sometimes... might be other ones you can do also... I have no stake in Allegiant they just have a hub close to me so I use them when I go to Vegas 'cause they are cheap...

If you want to hit Disney or Vegas I'd hit up Fatwallet to see what is going on with those places. Hawaii is gonna cost a fair amount usually just due to distance/over the water...