Do handbreaked movies work on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yancey47, Apr 3, 2010.

1. yancey47 macrumors regular

2. gabevasq macrumors newbie

3. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

What settings are you using in Handbrake? I plan on getting a 3G one but want to spend the better part of April getting some of my favorite DVDs ripped and ready for transfer.

Plus this is a way to make time pass quicker...haha

4. jason221 macrumors 6502

If you're ripping standard definition DVDs, just import them with iPhone settings but keep the resolution the highest it can be (720x480, etc. ... don't scale it down). MP4 video format, H.264, 1500+ bitrate works fine.

5. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

So far so good for me as well. I put ~12 movies on mine and all of worked and looked amazing as well.

6. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Plus Onw

Just used handbrake yesterday for the first time. Worked great even with an old movie - The Godfather.

So fire away! :p

Sent via iPad.

7. jwnelson301 macrumors newbie

I am also having sync problems with movies. I have used Handbrake exclusively for my AppleTV. No problems playing on AppleTV, but the same movies won't sync to iPad. I have tried the "AppleTV/iPad conversion" feature and it says the movie is already in the correct setting. Frustrating because I have a huge collection of movies!!

8. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I re-encoded all my dvd rips using the apple universal setting in handbrake. They look fantastic on the iPad!

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Works great. I use the AppleTV preset but turn it down to 1800-2000mbps from 2500.

10. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

From the specs it looks like the AppleTV preset will work on iPad. Can anyone confirm or deny?

EDIT: Didn't see the post above me. I usually encode mine at 3000kbps or so, from HD mkvs/my own bluray rips.. DVDs I just use the constant quality at 60% or whatever it defaults to.

11. sJv macrumors regular

None of my Handbrake movies encoded for appleTV (less than 2500Kbps) synced to my iPad. My visualhub encoded files (transcoded from avi, mkv, etc) do work. According to the iPad video spec, it should work. Any way to get them on there short of re-encoding 100+ DVD's???

-steve

12. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

I turned off automatic syncing. In Finder, in your home folder, there's a sub-sub-sub directory:

Music/Itunes/Itunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes

Just copy your movie in there and it worked for me. The GodFather looks great! That's the first movie I watched too (dvd -> handbreak) . Now to figure out how to get free ePub books on the thing.

13. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

That's odd considering that I have movies on my iPad that used the appletv preset, you didn't change any settings by any chance did you?

14. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I tried using Handbreak on my Windows 7 machine and it doesn't do anything. God I miss my Macbook Pro.

15. whistleandthumb macrumors newbie

I used Handbrake to rip a bunch of DVD's this past week and all of them transferred over to the iPad with no problems.

I used the AppleTV settings and a feature length film comes out to 1-1.5GB, and looks incredible on the iPad. Surprised to hear of so many issues...

16. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I'm guessing the next version of Handbreak has a iPad profile.

17. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

I'm having trouble getting some of the info for my movies. does anyone know how to make the ipad show the director, stars and plot of he movie like it would if you bought it from itunes? I don't see where that would be edited in itunes.

18. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Worked like a charm using the apple presets....Just did dances with wolves and looks amazing!! Now to do bourne thanks

19. wayne93117 macrumors newbie

+1

20. traderx1 macrumors member

appletv preset

AppleTV preset works great.
    Question you have to ask yourself is do you want HD or SD
    if you plan on watching movies on your iphone also, then SD has to be choice
    if you want to watch 720p on your iPad, then choose HD and this file can also be viewed on AppleTV (if you have one)

for those of you wondering how to get HD movies, I am talking about converting MKV files...

and for those of you who already are familiar with the MKV format, how do we get around this whole DTS thing, since my Mac still cant read that....any help?

21. loteq macrumors newbie

loteq

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

All of my vids work great. My 720x480 anamorphic encodes look decent, my 640x480 vids look decent, and my 720p BluRay rips look great.

23. rayward macrumors 68000

You need to use any number of (usually free) tagging applications. I use a combination of MetaX and Subler, but for what you want, either would be fine.

24. rayward macrumors 68000

I make dual versions of my movie rips, one "HD", which uses the Apple TV preset (and is more often than not actually HD as I rip as much from Blu Ray that I can), and an "SD" version for my iPhone. True HD versions look amazing on the iPad, play flawlessly, and it has a really cool custom interface just for video content (i.e. not through the iPod app, like on the iPhone).

25. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I feel Apple TV preset is a waste on DVD-sourced material.