Do heavy mbp user put protective cover on mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jvmxtra, Feb 20, 2011.

1. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Sorry for another thread on mbp cover but does anyone here who uses mbp heavily(use it 12 to 15 hours daily) put cover on the mbp(like speck or some other protective cover)?

Want to protect my mbp but I don't want it to cause more heat problem if it adds to it

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm on my mbp all day long and I use an incase sleeve and a radtech keyboard cover. I dont use a hardcase, but I am super careful with my mac. Some of my friends have a speck case and they love them.

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

One thing I have experienced is the black plastic flaps on x-ray scanners at the airport. Even though there may be "TSA approved" cases that the Xray staff will allow you to keep the MBP in, this rule isn't really followed internationally.

Those flaps can rip up the aluminum cover.

The only other hazard I've come across is sand.

Can't think of anything else but there probably are scenarios.

YMMV.

4. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

thanks guys!

I am not sure as I ride laptop very hard and they get very hot and worry that cover will just add to higher temp. I might have to go naked.

I also travel a lot.. so this is something to think about..

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yeah im not sure how they do with heat distribution.

6. kitzuki macrumors regular

kitzuki

I have a red speck hard case on mine its worked wonders over the years

7. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Question is do you abuse your mbp? I want to protect my mbp but if it adds to the heat, I rather not cover them as I care more for inside than outside.

8. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Yes, I use a Speck case and carry it in a Targus laptop bag.

9. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I use my MBP all the time, and I usually take it on trips etc. As of now, I only use an Incase carry bag but I'm considering getting a Incase hardshell black case for my MBP. I'm really not one for actual cases on the laptop itself, but I would like to be able to place my MBP anywhere without being worried if the bottom is going to get dirty or scratched.

10. kitzuki macrumors regular

kitzuki

Unfortunately I don't abuse my Mac too cautious due to how much I've spent on it however I have dropped it twelve times>.<

11. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I use my MBP for around 12-15 hours per day depending on the day - have no fancy stuff just carry the laptop itself in a Canadian Forces issue Day Pack (This pack is not designed in any way to protect a notebook), and the laptop itself has held up to 6+ months worth of field work very admirably. I have a dent on the bottom right corner, but other than that the aluminium has been very scratch resistant and I'm rather surprised at the ruggedness of the design.

12. kitzuki macrumors regular

kitzuki

Oh also I carry it around in the incase 15inch carrying bag

13. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

I used to have a speck clear plastic case. The tabs that held the bottom cover on the bottom case broke quickly and easily. The top weighed the display down and it actually loosened the display hinge (easily fixed, of course). Also, you'll get crumbs and crud between the case and the computer, so the case needs removal and cleaning every other week or so. Haven't had it on my computer in months, and while I kinda wish I had the protection, I don't miss paying $60 for it. For me, the pros didn't outweigh the cons.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have a black, matte colored speck hard case on my 15" mbp. I only got it cause I dented my Core Duo 17" fairly often (theres several small dents and a few light scratches and glue marks from stickers) and I dont want that to happen to this one, at least not right away so it still feels like a "new" system.

Though, I do have 2 decals on my palm rest and the hard case itself has decal and stickers too

I dunno if I consider myself a "heavy" user anymore. I only use it a couple of hours a day and a bit more on sundays playing games. Though I do run folding@home on this system whenever I'm under OSX. The case keeps the bottom cool enough to touch even after several hours of 100% cpu. The fans don't run more then 50% speed either, which is nice.

15. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Sorry- should add that I have a Moshi palmguard. LOVE IT. It looks gross but I'm having a hard time finding a replacement (read: too lazy)

16. jdaniel macrumors 65816

i have had a new mac every year since 2008 mostly 15", 13" last year end coz i find the 15" too heavy on all of them I had the matt black speck and moshi palm and keyboard cover.. for this one i havent gotten around to getting a speck yet but I will. If you get SMC fan control you can solve your over heating problems.

17. Vod Kanockers macrumors newbie

I use mine pretty heavily everyday for 8 or 10 hours and it goes most places with me. I have the black satin Speck cover on mine and love it, and I haven't had any issues at all with overheating etc.

18. mark22 macrumors newbie

cover/ Speck

I bought a Speck hard case cover for my MBP 15 inch. It works fine fit like a skin, The only thing is that i sometimes take the cover of just to look at the topside it,s so nice with out the cover. So now you can make up your own mind