Do I buy Imac or Macbook???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andy317, Mar 17, 2008.

1. andy317 macrumors member

Hi All,

I have already thought of getting the iMac but then thought about the Macbook.

I am not a major gamer but would love to play Football Manager 2008 and also The Sims 2.

I like the Imac for the entertainment side of things but the portability would be nice for the weekend as I travel about a bit (not a major deal though!!).

It won't be used for graphic design or anything like that, just general use.

Any suggestions?? :confused: (Before someone suggests, I cannot afford both!!! :()

Thanks Again
    Andy

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

My advise is if mobility isn't a big deal then always go with the desktop.
    It's more future proof than a macbook.

3. n1ght macrumors member

But the iMac uses notebook processors.

Yes, the iMac does have a dedicated graphics card (better for games), but the Macbook actually has a newer processor that supports the SSE4 instruction set (more "future-proof") and can have the hard drive upgraded easily.

EDIT: Besides, the Macbook should be able to run those games just fine.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    :rolleyes:I was in the same position as you. I went with the MacBook,(black refurb for $1049) I removed the existing Ram, and put in 2,2GB sticks. I absolutely love it. I use it on my desktop cart, where I plan on mounting the new Mac Mini when released. I just purchased a new Dell 20" Ultra monitor and swing arm, to hook to the Mini/Laptop w/ a KV switch. Plan is to have all my Apples on one cart so to speak:cool::apple::cool:

5. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

I would say go with the cheaper one which is the MacBook. They are both great computers, so you should be fine with gaming. Just make sure your games are for Mac OSX, and they meet system requirements.

6. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

The iMac gives much more 'bang for buck', and if you wait a couple of weeks, it will likely be updated even further.

If portability really isn't an issue, go for the iMac.

Moreover, in terms of gaming, the Macbook is really poor. You will have to be content with all graphics options turned 'off', and stuttering throughout, unless the game is old, or simple.

The dedicated graphics in the iMac gives 4-5 times the performance on the Macbook.

Peace and God Bless!