Do I buy iPhone now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wilbmeister, Feb 23, 2008.

1. wilbmeister macrumors newbie

I have been reading the posts on this Forum for weeks now. I am going to buy an iPhone but I am wondering if I should wait a week...month...whatever. I know that things are always changing and improving. Are there benefits to waiting? I have been wondering about the following...
    1. Will there be a price drop soon?
    2. Is there going to be a second generation phone?
    3. What is a 3G phone? ...is it worth waiting for?
    4. What is SDK and do I wait to buy a phone for it?

You all know so much more about this than I do. Anything else I forgot?

Thank you for your help!

2. basicfiend macrumors member

The guy who ran tiny-code (and was working on the SDK with Apple) posted something to the effect that, if he were going to buy a 16 gig phone (and he was), he would wait until Feb. 28. Sorry I don't have the exact quote from the forum, but read into that what you will.

3. Keane Fan macrumors member

Interesting.
    We all have the same dilemma.. I think I want to hold out for the 3G... but I'll wait until August (before I leave for college I must have my iphone).

4. onqun macrumors member

5. wilbmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like there are a few of us with the same questions. Thanks for that info on 2/28. I guess I will see what happens then.

I was at an Apple Education Forum a few weeks ago and they hinted at an upcoming price drop on the 16g phone. I wonder if that will happen and when.

6. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

well i just bought a 16gb iphone yesterday so i hope if there is any change on 2/28 it's just a software thing...i don't feel like returning this one and buying the newer one.

7. cupofjoe macrumors regular

That guy was a fraud - if you read later on into that thread. He knew absolutely nothing, and just wanted to pull a prank over on us.

To the OP, check out my thread about the iPhone on the main page. :) I'll link you if need be, but it's right there.

as for the difference between EDGE (what the iPhone now has) and 3G, I refer you to THIS ARTICLE.

8. wilbmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Cupofjoe, I actually just read your post. I found it very interesting. I have been an Apple fan ever since the early 80's when I taught computers on the old Apple II's. I have had pretty much a Mac since they came out.

Now I am ready to jump into the phone. I guess if there is a price reduction in the next few weeks that would be great.

9. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Considering the 16gig just came out just before Valentines' Day, I don't know how likely that is. Then again, Apple surprises me every now and then! :p

And thanks! Glad you found some help in there! :D

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

In about 3 minutes...

my iPhone via iTunes will do an update. Is that the same update that you are talking about for the 28th?:cool:

11. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Seem like there is a lot of us on the same boat. I am also planning on purchasing a new iPhone for my Birthday which happens to be the 28 of this month. So I am certain I will wait until then to purchase.

12. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

When 3G becomes nationwide, will that be a software upgrade or is that going to be a physically a new phone?

13. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Physically a new phone since 3G hardware is required that the current phone doesn't have.

14. Retops macrumors regular

I didn't wait

I've been reading and drooling over the iphone for some time and just bought one on Friday. I have been waiting for 3G but finally decided that it didn't matter that much to me. Fact is, I have wireless at home and my primary office so I'll only use EDGE when I am out and about. I usually trade phones every couple of years anyway.

One thing I really like about the iphone is the way it finds available wireless signals. I was using a Tmobile Wing as my internet phone and it requires repeated trying before it will lock up with an internet signal. I am glad not to have to "fight" with the iphone to get it to do the same thing.

15. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

I have read in many places that AT&T is going 3G this year, I would assume that the new iPhone would come out then?

16. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Yes. Word on the street is that may be mid to late summer (June-ish?).

17. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I doubt there will be a price drop, but memory gets cheaper as time goes on. It might be that come summer, 16GB is $399.

There will be a second generation phone... eventually. Most people are guessing mid-late summer, but it could be as far back as next January - no one knows for sure.

3G means faster internet (faster than AT&T's EDGE network, but usually slower than WiFi) and being able to receive calls while on the internet (can't do this on EDGE). Generally, it uses up more battery (which Apple says is it's main reason for not having it yet) and is only available in certain areas since AT&T hasn't rolled it out everywhere.

SDK is a software development kit. It is given to developers who will then create apps for the iPhone with it. You don't need to wait in terms of phone hardware for this (unless you want more memory), since all iPhones will be able to download applications.

18. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

First things first, the iPhone just got the 16gig upgrade last week, the best time to jump on any electronic product, especially an Apple product, is the MOMENT it gets updated.

1) If anything, the 16gig will replace the 8 when the 32 comes (which will take the price of the 16) but this won't be for a while. the prices will most likely stay at 399 and 499 for a very long time.

2) There IS going to be a second generation iPhone, but again, not for a while. Phones need to go through the FCC about 6 months before they are released, that means that the second gen iPhone is more than 6 months away... unless you want to wait 6+ months get the phone now

3) 3G is a network that is simply faster internet. Unless you need quick internet 24/7, finding wifi spots suffice and the edge isn't horrid as many sites you use will be iPhone optimized and will load faster.

4) The SDK is the Software Development Kit. Basically this means that the iPhone will get 3rd part applications soon, and don't worry, you won't need to get a new iPhone in the future for it. All iPhone will be able to work with the apps made by the kit.

IMO--just go get it now. And get the 16.

19. BIrwin49 macrumors member

No point in waiting if you ask me. You will never be able to keep up with the hottest thing Apple has out.

I got an 8gb iPhone a little over a week ago and I had the same thoughts, but as soon as something comes out within a short period there are rumors of something better.

20. McGiord, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Buy now, and you can always resell later.
    All the current iPhones can be unlocked so there is a good residual value in the market.
    Once you use your iPhone you can't live without it. Don't waste more deays without it. You'll regret it later that you didn't have it before.
    ________
    Fujio Cho

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Just to clarify, AT&T is already deploying 3G networks in many areas across the US. There are several other phones that AT&T sells that use 3G. When the iPhone incorporates it there will be plenty of access points already in place.

22. drb6 macrumors regular

I think this has come up a few times in the forums, but the consensus was that the FCC approval process takes 6 weeks, not months.

More knowledgeable ppl: please confirm or deny.

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed

I asked the same question when I joined here and am extremely happy I actually bought it

24. Knolly macrumors 6502a

This is true. Also, the claims that we would know about the iPhone in advance because it shows up on the FCC are false, as FCC filings can have a delay time before they become public.