Do I buy the Air now, or do I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jinxednuance, Feb 28, 2011.

  1. jinxednuance macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #1
    I was going to go to the Apple store this morning and buy the Ultimate Air, but I was wondering if it's worth all the $$ if a new Air will be out in June (or won't it?)

    Perhaps I can get the Pro meanwhile, sell it then get the new Air?

    I can afford one now, but if a newer one is to come out in a few months, wouldn't it be wise for me to wait?

    Or I can buy the Ultimate now and wait for a few generations down the line then upgrade it! Also, the current Air has the core2duo which is a 2009 technology so kinda old...

    The value sale of the Pro would drop less than the Air since it's newer.

    Any thoughts?!
    thanks!
     
  2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #2
    If the current MBA does everything you need, then buy. If not, wait for next.

    MBP will be the safer way to go than buying MBA because MBP will not get update for another 6-8 months.

    MBA is not really designed to be used as pro machine, so apple is not really in hurry to replace it with sandy bridge processor.

    We will see in this summer.
     
  3. MikePA macrumors 68020

    MikePA

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
  4. ozred macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2011
    #4
    If you must ask WAIT... you will be absolutely thrilled you did.

    Buying now is throwing your money away.
     
  5. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #5
    I just realized this existed so I am reading along...
     
  6. gwsat macrumors 68000

    gwsat

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Location:
    Tulsa
    #6
    It seems to me that whether you buy a new computer now or wait should be governed by only two considerations: (1) do you need a new computer now and (2) can you afford to pay its price? The excuse for not buying now because something bigger, better, faster, well you get it, is coming at some future date is always true and will always be true. That's what makes it such a convenient, albeit unconvincing, excuse for waiting. The problem is made worse because super secretive Apple makes it impossible to know when an upgrade is coming.

    The current MBA has only been on the streets for four months and is the best MBA yet. So what if it does get refreshed in the next six months? Even if it happens, the MBA you buy now will still be just as capable as it would be if a refresh hadn't come out.
     
  7. namtaB macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    #7
    Assuming the MBA suits your needs, which may or may not depending on what they are, there are two types of people out there. Those that have computing needs and buy a computer that suits those needs. Those that have computing needs and want the latest and greatest. You need to decide which group you belong to. The current MBA is by far the best laptop I've owned. It more than suits my needs, is ultraportable, well built, etc. If they upgraded it tomorrow with a new faster processor I would not be upset nor would long for a new one. Others may not have the same attitude, which is why if that describes you then you probably should wait it out since the Core2Duo is "old" tech and will almost certainly be updated.
     
  8. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    #8
    You can buy it now, and if the refresh later this year excites you sell the current one and move on. It won't cost you much, they hold their value very well.
     
  9. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

    bowlerman625

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL area
  10. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #10
    After doing that over the last 4 years with MBP/MBA's, I find that to be mostly true only on the minimum configs. Hardly anyone pays much extra in the used market for faster CPU's, more memory, and bigger HD's. In other words, if the OP is going to get a MBA 13 Ultimate, he/she's not really going to recoup the price differential between the basic 13 MBA and the ultimate.
     
  11. gimmi80 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2010
    #11
    buy a refurb is going to help with buyer remorse
     
  12. lshirase macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    #12
    If you're fine with the current c2d proc, then buy it now. You probably won't take advantage of the new SB proc if all you're going to do is watch youtube and use microsoft word. If you plan on using your air for anything more, i would suggest you wait.
     
  13. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    #13
    Buy now (I just did) because I doubt they will update the MBAs until Q4 2011. I mean, they just relaunched the new MBAs 5 or 6 months ago!
     

Share This Page