Do I dare?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JG69, Jul 6, 2010.

  1. JG69 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    #1
    I have been thinking of purchasing a new iMac...with all these rumors out there about a new iMac I am temped to wait...what do you guys think? should I wait and see, or just go for it and get a new one?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #2
    I'm in the same boat. My problem is I want to get one before September so I can get the back to school free iPod offer Apple is currently doing. I'm worried that the week after the offer expires, they will then introduce the new iMacs. So it seems like a gamble, either I buy now and get a potentially out dated computer but a free iPod, or wait and not get the free iPod but get an up to date computer.

    Also, it would suck that I wait until after the offer expires and they still don't update the iMac's for ahwile. Although I can't see them not being updated before the Christmas season.
     
  3. alent1234 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    #3
    you have to be on drugs to buy an iMac now. get a Mini since it has much faster graphics. Buy it from Best Buy and trade it in when the new iMac comes out

    and the cheapo ipods they are giving away for free aren't really worth anything
     
  4. GidbinN macrumors member

    GidbinN

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    Location:
    Northrend
    #4
    If you're going for the high-end 27", there's no big difference buying it now or later.

    But you have only limited amount of money and wanted the low-end 21,5"

    I say you'd better wait for a couple of months, Apple will release a minor update this summer (maybe october). Maybe even a major update, who knows...
     
  5. dexthageek macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    #5
    Agreed! The 27'' i7 will most likely only see a GPU update. And that update unfortunately is not that drastic.
     
  6. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #6
    Not worth anything? You can get a $199 iPod Touch or a $149 iPod Nano. Not sure what your income is, but to most people that kind of money is worth something.
     
  7. 0dev macrumors 68040

    0dev

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #7
    There's always rumours of something new about to come out. Might as well just buy an iMac if you want one IMO. If you wait, it won't be long before fresh rumours come along anyway.

    Plus, the upgrade is very likely to only be minor.
     
  8. alent1234 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    #8
    the current Apple i5's and i7's are the ancient 45nm versions. the new ones are the 32nm ones. At least with the i5, Apple will go to a 32nm version
     
  9. dexthageek macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    #9
    The only 32nm i7 is the i7-980X which is an Extreme Edition chip. That chip retails for a $1000 (newegg).

    There are so newer i7 chips however, they would require a motherboard change due to a different socket type.

    As for the 32nm i5, again a different chipset/socket.
     
  10. JackHobbs macrumors regular

    JackHobbs

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2009
    Location:
    London
    #10
    Much as it is great to have the "latest" imac, try to think about what you are going to use it for. Think about getting the most for your money. How much do you want an ipod? More than the upgrade when and if it happens? If you get your mac now, you will have months of using it and an ipod. You decide. If the current machines do what you want and you want an ipod as well, buy now. If the upgrade is more important wait.

    I bought a 13" MBP at the beginning of December 2009. It has since been upgraded. My MBP is still great and does what I want quickly and efficiently. I've not had any upgrade envy yet.

    Good luck with your decision. :)
     
  11. blinkin182 macrumors regular

    blinkin182

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #11
    Have also been waiting since about April-May. My main problem is I think the 27inch is a bit too big for me, but I'd want to jump to the next generation processors (i5 or i7) and am hoping they'll introduce them into the 21.5 inch models. Or better yet, have a mid sized model between 21.5 and 27inch.... How about a 24 inch (in a 16/9 form factor)?
    That would be perfect for me!

    In any case, am waiting, I've waited this long, so am hoping September at the very latest...
     
  12. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #12
    I've only been waiting a few weeks since I decided I really wanted an iMac.

    I would really hate to buy it and then a few weeks later they introduce the brand new one, unless the new one is only a slight incremental increase in processor power or graphics.
     
  13. dexthageek macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    #13
    For the high-end iMac we will most likely only see the GPU upgraded to ATI's 5000 series. It would be nice to see the C2D machines replaced with i3/i5 chips (probably not quad-core).
     
  14. peakchua macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2010
    #14
    since ddr4 will come in 2012... will apple increase the standard ddr3 ram in 2011 before intel releases ddr4?
     
  15. alent1234 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    #15
    last time Apple was selling DDR3 machines before anyone else to justify the premium. lately it seems Apple's hardware is 6-12 months behind what everyone else is selling
     
  16. TMRaven macrumors 68020

    TMRaven

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #16
    That's because apple only updates their machines every 6-12 months.

    To the op: if you're thinking of getting one of the lynnfield iMacs, there's really no point in waiting. The lynnfields are newer top-end cpus, and the mobility 5k series won't show a dramatic increase in performance over the mobility 4850.


    what?
     
  17. node808 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    #17
    So True

    Apple hardware always lags behind. I considered buying an iMac a few months ago, but when I looked at the hardware specs and the price they were charging for it....I just about choked. So I decided to build my own and was able to put together a rock solid workstation with at least 5 times the power for less than $600.00. The iMac is simply over priced....like ALL apple products.

    My suggestion is to build your own and install Linux or install OSX.
     
  18. fruitytotheloom macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2010
    #18
    Might as well.

    I got a iMac a few years ago. We got it right before theta came out with the new software change. They upgraded it for free. I love every thing about the iMac. It is so powerful. You would think after two years of using it, it would get boring but it is totally awesome.:cool:
     
  19. Fallenman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    #19
    I'm waiting. It's killing me... I was quietly hoping the July 5th rumours would come to fruition. I was a sad panda to find that it was not to be.

    Personally, I do game on my mac, so the upgrade to GPU will affect me (even if it is slight). If you don't play games, then the only thing stopping you is the whole "buyers remorse" thing if you buy now and they update soon.

    Having said that - my current mac is a 1st gen MBP 2.0ghz 2 gig RAM and Radeon 1600X. I'll be upgrading to the high end 27" iMac - I'm hoping to see quite a boost in terms of performance ;)

    Come on :apple:, Update already!
     
  20. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 13, 2008
    #20
    I just brought a top end iMac 21.5" from a eBay seller for £800 which was £400 off the Apple price.

    It had a weird pixel in the middle of the screen which i took to the apple store and they replaced for a new iMac.

    So try get a refub or secondhand now. My feelings are the new iMac will go ip in price and may be worth getting the current iMac at a good price now
     
  21. aki macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Location:
    Japan
    #21
    I can understand your wanting to wait. Unfortunately my old iMac died and so I had to jump.

    I can report just for the record that the i7 with the 4850 runs wonderfully for gaming. I was buying "because I had to" so I wasn't unhappy with my old 8800GS, and didn't have any particular expectations about the new card. But I'm running pretty much everything I used to play at max settings and it looks very sweet (and still less heat than the old iMac).

    Not saying waiting is wrong, I would have if I could have. :eek: But the current i7 is not a poor machine! :D
     
  22. Fallenman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    #22
    That's definitely fair. I'm making do at the moment, and like you say - it's down to necessity. I'm happy to wait. This MBP was my first mac, and has lasted well considering it is one of the original intel machines.

    I guess for me, waiting helps me prolong its longevity.

    But I still end up checking every day in the vain hope that there's been a sneaky update ;)
     
  23. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #23
    Same here all i can do is wait and check everyday. I am really hoping for next Tuesday :)
     
  24. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

    aliensporebomb

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2005
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
    #24
    No!

    IMO no. Unlikely.
     
  25. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

    aliensporebomb

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2005
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
    #25
    Ack

    I guarantee the refresh will happen no sooner than 14 days after 6/29.

    Which is when I bought my iMac.

    Which means when the new ones come out I won't be able to return mine.

    No matter, it's a fast powerful machine.
     

Share This Page