Do I definitely need a Firewire enclosure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ken Masters, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Ken Masters macrumors member

The Hitachi 7k320 is being purchased tomorrow. I'll need to take out my existing drive and put it in an enclosure but there only seems to be one drive on sale which fulfills the criteria of SATA, 2.5" and FW400 and that costs £65 (around $125) found here: http://www.allmacshop.co.uk/proddet..._5__SATA_HDD_Enclosure_Mac_Win__MAC-TB-S120_/

In the US, you can get one for $60 http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MSTG400U2/

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and cough up £65 for an enclosure or do I have an alternative?

Thanks! :)

2. Fabiano macrumors regular

Do you really need firewire? If not you can buy a USB enclosure that should be a lot cheaper... :D

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I have an enclosure with both FW & USB and I found that FW takes less CPU power than USB.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I like FW because it can send more power over the wire so while some of my HDDs need extra power when connected via USB2, none of them need it when connected with FW400/FW800.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

FW speeds are still faster than USB2, and definitely less load on the CPU. I go only with FW unless performance is not that big of a deal.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I got this baby, I love it. Except the LED light is sooooo bright, I had to cover it! :eek:

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have that too and it's great.

The LED on the OWC enclosure is worse.